Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way to access server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox1977

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2001
GB
Hi wonder if anyone can help me out. Ive got a small network running a w2k server and 15 w2k clients going through a netpilot box and i am trying to sort out the best remote access solution to save me having to travel down there all the time (as it is miles away!).

Ive just got back from trying to set up radmin but it didnt work as the server has a local address and goes through a netpilot proxy box which has a static ip address (least i think it does, well at least a publich one anyway).

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to connect upto the server? Ive seen something on port forwarding from the netpilot proxy to the local address but do not know if i can set it up on the netpilot box.

Thanks in advance

I use Radmin in many different locations throughout the world, I just VPN in and off I go!

Do you have VPN connectivity to the remote site? If not you may have to stick radmin on an external NIC but you'll have to be prepared for the risks that go with it.

If they're branded servers then you could probably get an Insight board again it will have to be connected with an external address if you can't VPN in.

Good luck,

Iain

Problem is i dont know how to setup a VPN. Can anyone help me out, im a bit of a newbie to this.

I also think the netpilot box has a dynamic ip address, is this going to cause major problems?

Thanks for the help

If you don't know how to set this up, this is definetely the right place. Pop on over to the VPN forum check out the FAQ's and you'll be a hero by the end of the week! ;)

In regards to you having a dynamically assigned external IP address although it is harder to deal with its no real show stopper.

Iain

Hi, regarding the dynamic IP. You can check out ipdetective.ca . It is a low cost, secure solution to always have your dynamic ip automatically updated.

We have been using it for a while and every morning I come into the office, all our clients and our IP addresses are updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back