Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way for remote access

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazydays

Technical User
Sep 29, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have been asked the best way to access a remote computer, but I know very little about this sort of thing.

My mate splits their time between the UK and France, and wants to be able to access the UK computer while in France.

What is the best way - PC Anywhere, WAN or what? And does the UK computer need to be switched on?

As many opinions as possible please - I'd be grateful!!!

Pcanywhere will work great. Yes the host computer has to be on and the software has to be waiting for the connection, this can be set to be automatic and he will be able to access it from anywhere he has an internet access. it can also be setup to wait for dial in connections at the same time.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Another way, if both machines are XP pro is to use the Windows Remote Desktop, or maybe a VPN connection

--------------------
Sometime overlooking the little things causes headaches that are not needed

Live2Die - I know one of the PCs has Media Center but not sure about the other - does this XP operating system have the same ability as XP Pro?

I am not to sure about media center....never used it

--------------------
Sometime overlooking the little things causes headaches that are not needed

No worries! Thanks for the advice - will see what I can find! Maybe a free holiday to France ;-)

Couple of other suggestions.
- Register which is free, then you go through install a plug in. You then add your machine. You get an icon near the clock that needs to enabled. As long as its enabled you will be able to access your PC over the internet. You will need to know the username and password to log into this PC. Then wherever you are in the world as long as you have an internet connection, you just go to Enter your details in and username and password and you can then gain access to the PC.

Other than that, there is the old Netmeeting which is on every machine although often well hidden. try going to start and run and typing in conf then OK.

Winvnc is another free program. Again working on the princple of one machine as server/host other the client.

Dameware is another one. There are loads out there without paying !! Good Luck

Thanks PCmad!

Do you have any personal experience of any of those applications - and any recommendations? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back