Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best virus and spam protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumdum2

Programmer
Mar 18, 2000
GB
We are using Exchange Server 2003 and have Symantec Corporate Edition 10.0 for our virus protection on each of the workstations in the domain (about 25 systems).

I'd like to upgrade our virus software to a product that will protect us at the gateway for both viruses and spam.....can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks!

We are using Postini. Our MX records actually route all mail through Postini for SPAM and Virus filtering. We then opened a block of addresses on our Firewall to receive from Postini only. Users are then set up with their own quarantine area where they then monitor their SPAM messages and adjust their filtereing to their like. They can aslo set up lists of approved and blocked senders. These lists can override the system levels.

Symantec's products will do that. Many of my clients actually use a third party filtering product that filters out infected messages before they ever get to the firewall. That way, less bandwidth usage. But they still have Symantec or Trend Micro at the Exchange server.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Ive stuck with Sophos AntiVirus for the entire network and email servers and i wanna say they do gateway protection now as well but not to sure. Havent looked at their main site in a while. I find sophos to be great product and ive noticed they get updates out faster than symantec and sometimes trendmicro.

Wm. Reynolds
RRWDS | TxPSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Network Error:
Hit any user to continue

Sybari's Antigen is worth a look - it has the ability to scan using multiple AV engines.

Cheapest/easiest thing you might use to accomplish your goal would be to add Symantec MailSecurity to your mix. They often sell it as a bundle with AV. It has fairly extensive whitelist/blacklist, RBL, etc features. It won the MSExchange.com Reader's Choice award for Anti-Spam/AV this year.
But there's also something to be said for a solution like Postini, that reduces hardware overhead and any worry about updates.

Shackdaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back