Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best tool(s) for 3D graphics manipulation using/working with VB6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ2000

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2000
US
I am looking at developing an application that requires manipulation of a 3D graphics image by inputting numbers from text boxes or spin controls. The modifiable points on the complex object are at set areas, whereas the rest of the object must then expand and contract to a graduated fill with the changes. For instance, if I change set point X to 24 then X + 1 will be 23.5, X + 2 will be 23, etc.<br>I understand that vector images are composed of a number polygons - the more polygons the smoother the image outlines.&nbsp;&nbsp;To do the math for the polygon changes seems like a real chore.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't want to create another autoCAD program.&nbsp;&nbsp;The image will also have a textures laid on top of the polygonal image.<br><br>I have glanced at the following:<br>- DirectX (DirectDraw) (looks like you have to learn C?&nbsp;&nbsp;akkk!)<br>- Direct manipulation of the graphics in VB6 (holy carp!)<br>- ActiveX manipulation of AutoCAD 2000 files (unsure of availability of interactive viewer for AutoCAD?)<br>- ActiveX manipulation of Visio 2000 files (unsure of availability of interactive viewer for Visio?)<br><br>Does any one have ideas as to the best tool for graphics manipulation using/working with VB6?&nbsp;&nbsp;possibly an OCX or ActiveX tool already written?<br><br>thanks for the thoughts<br>

you can do DirectX in VB , MSDN even posted quite a few documentation using DirectDraw and Direct3D in Visual basic.<br><br>also activeX, are written in Visual Basic, Visual C++, Visual J++, and other Microsoft languages(and any other language with a activeX capable compiler) normally if you can call the Dlls and API, any language will help. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Holy Carp, PJ2000! You made my day.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Whether or not you are aided by ActiveX or an OCX, you are proposing a complex project. Simple-minded folk (like myself) would step out of the VB6 loop and write a VBA module so we could quickly access and manipulate the &quot;ThisDrawing&quot; properties and methods.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;You said you didn't want to create another AutoCAD program but you <i>probably will</i> by the time you achieve the desired results. VBA/LISP could prove frustrating unless you are an advanced user. If you are determined to use VB6, an add-on OCX may be &quot;the shortest distance between two points&quot;. Unfortunately, I can't recommend an add-on that will give you the desired results.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;A quick search of the internet will link you to dozens of sites that could offer the control(s) you seek. You might start with http:\\<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> (an on-line CAD magazine).<br><br>Please make note here if you find a good tool. (I am seeking similar controls).<br><br>Best of luck!<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>

for very complex applications VB doesnt seem to kick it and I would go into C++, VB can draw 3d, but if you are talking about something thats going to have alot of polygons and textures, and other complexity, then yep, I'd go to something a bit more powerful(unless the ActiveX just so happens to be written in one of those powerful languages) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

I need to find a simple method for embedding a 3d object in a Visual Basic application and then modifying certain aspects of the image through the application or through direct calls to the embedded object.<br><br>...still looking<br><br>

well we have seemed to aid you with some sugestions, like if VB6 is even worthwhile for your intention, also stating &quot;embed&quot; assumes you are looking for some ActiveX control that is supposed to be some 3d studio set, am I wrong, in any case, the question is, are you just looking for an easy activeX to say &quot;Add a cube to this display, now rotate it to these cordinates&quot;, or are you trying to find a way to program the features yourself, and learn 3d programming yourself, not aided by an already developed application, most 3d ActiveX (in fact all) I've seen cost a bit high of cash. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Answering my own question?<br><br>Programming 3d graphics in VB is too much work.<br>DirectX is doable, but still requires a lot of programming.<br>AutoCAD has a viewer, but you have to pay license fees to use it in an application.<br>Visio doesn't have the 3d capabilities.<br><br>Using premade ActiveX controls to manipulate a 3d object (created in a 3d editor) seems to be my answer, I found the following:<br><br>ATS Mozaik<br>ActiveX (OCX) allows embedding of 3d objects with manipulation. Full set of instructs for VB and C integration.<br>(Lite version - free; full version $400)<br><br>CNS Visual TriSpace ActiveX<br>Software-based three-dimensional graphic engine for 3D rendering and visualization of solid objects.<br>(Lite version - free; full - $50)<br><br>3Space Assistant (TGS)<br>Take 3D graphics from the internet, or created with Amapi 3D, Autodesk, or CAD systems, and put them directly into Microsoft Office and all OLE applications!<br>(demo version - free; full - $149 )<br><br>Using my time to develop these at the rate of $50 per hour -- then these aren't that high priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back