Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best technology to send Email? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomi2000

ISP
Feb 15, 2001
CA
Hi
which technology is best for sending an email thorough WEB or DESKTOP clients
1) CDO
2) MAPI
3) or any other?
We have used CDO in past have issues with it about differnt Windows's email clients uses different version for sending
Regards
Nouman

Nouman Zaheer
Software Engineer
MSR

cdonts is no longer supported by microsoft. it works great in most cases, otherwise, try cdosys

also, keep in mind that email server software (that is not microsoft - such as mdaemon) do not support cdo

i would go for sending email via an smtp mail server, if you have one. then you dont have to rely on anyting the client has etc

you can setup a virtual smtp server in iis (win2k or 2k3)
if you want to follow mrmovie's advice.

Thanks guys for your help
MrMovie we have designed in past a email object which used smtp mail server and CDO object which was called by web clients but when we installed our product on windows 2003 Server it's causing problem and not creating the CDO object properly for another Server like Windows 2000 it was working fine..we developed our email object in Windows XP Developer so we have had problem with CDO.
may be i don't know but can u tell me how to avoid this hessel and build a email class which is not dependent on any of the windows versions and if it has to be depend upon the Windows versions then at run-time that object should instantiate the correct CDO object to work .
Regards
Nouman

Nouman Zaheer
Software Engineer
MSR

Sorry, i didn't ask if you were using 2k3 or not. 2k3 (supposedly) does not support cdonts. you CAN make it work, though. it just takes a while. Try creating a virtual smtp server in iis 6 ( i believe 2k3 is iis 6). then you can try cdonts (it should work). if that does not work, then try cdosys. cdosys is the new microsoft supported cdo for 2k3, .net, etc.

let me know if this helps. and trust me when i say it IS possible, i just cannot remember how i did it. also, you can try jmail or some other FREE mail support.

Thanks hayt
your information is preciuos to me but i have to know what is the best technology? i means the one which have less pros than cons so thats why i asked this question..i have built my email object in past using CDO but i had problems when installing on the client machine
I know you can easily do this in WEB beacuse you just have to make sure that WEB has correct CDO versions installed but in case of WINDOWS application you have to make sure that correct version of CDO is installed otherwise you will get errors from it :(
so lets see if i can get some more useful information on this..thanks again
Regards
Nouman

Nouman Zaheer
Software Engineer
MSR

for client use it's mapi - from a user standpoint. while the support and maintenance overhead is a bit steep, and setup can be time consuming (depending on the vendor), it is a more robust technology for multiple clients. i really only recommend it for large numbers of mobile-users.

for medium size organizations, i recommend simple pop or cdo. even if you have to insure that all clients have the correct cdo, there really is very little overhead.

since you are asking in a visual basic .net forum, i assume that you are creating some kind of messaging service. therefore, your best option would simply be to use the clients default pop3 software package (outlook, even outlook express as much as it pains me to mention express). This will limit code, and will keep you from having to visit every machine to make sure that cdo is correct version. otherwise, you can attach the cdo.dll to a login script for all clients, and then register the file for each of them. it is up to you.

THansk Hayt
here you go for a star!!
now thing is that how i will mention in login script to install the correct version of CDO depending upon the O/S or email clients they are using. Can i autmoate this task if i know in advance about this information ?
Regards
Nouman

Nouman Zaheer
Software Engineer
MSR

there may be a way to do it in script, using wsh or something, but i'm not too sure. i didn't think that cdo version was platform-dependent. but i have only done cdo on win2k machines. why exactly do you have to do that? there may be an easier way to accomplish your goal.

Hi,

I am new to VB.Net and I am looking to incorporate mapi into one of the projects that I am working on.

Here's the issue

I need to have customers communicate with my place of work but for security reasons we can not setup a webserver and the only way of getting information passed back and fourth would be through email. I created a form that exports all the data from my form to a text document in the following format.

First Name| Last Name|City
John| Smith|New York

I would like to have my customers to automatically email the information to me when they press submit.

Or if there is a way to send the information within the body of the email that would be fine as well.

Let me know if there is a better way than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back