Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Spyware/Adware/Malware/Remover 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdahoTech

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hello All,

I am just wondering if anyone has run into the best Spyware, Adware, Malware remover. When I go to a machine to clean it I run the following:

Trend Micro Antivirus (This we own on all machines)
CWShredder
HiJackThis
Kill2Me
AdAwareSe
Spybot Search and Destroy

I also go to Panda to run a online virus scan as well. This is a lot to run just to clean a system, because one software doesnt find certain ones.

Say I run Spybot S&D and it finds over 400 problems. Then I run Adaware and it finds 400 to 600 more??? ( not that many but you get the idea) Then I run HiJackThis and it finds more BHO's.

Anyone know what I am saying? Is there just one software out there that does all this??? Or one that even comes close? I had the teachers at the schools run Spybot and install it. Now I am thinking of having them install AdAware as well. HELP!!!

Can you feel the frustration?! I know some of you can that do this like me on a daily basis. Is there some place where I can find places to block all this crap through my lightspeed box??

Hope someone has found something better......

IdahoTech
'Only two things are infinite - the Universe and human Stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe' Albert Einstein

My first bit of advice, ditch Adaware. They've revealed themselves to have shady business practicies and no communication one to many times to trust them to be a primary line of defense.

My advice, use Micrsoft's Antispyware Beta as your front line. Utilize the real time monitor, this will help prevent a lot of infections.

As for one tool to clean everything, it doesn't exist. I know there has been one report stating that a product was able to clean all known spyware, I'm not buying it. There's to many, that change to fast to rely on one tool for this.

Here's what I utilize...

Microsoft Antispyware
Spyware Blaster

These two help to prevent infection, Spyware Blaster monitors Active X connections and prevents several known variants of spyware from installing.

In addition I utilize Firefox when I'm able to. Also, I utilize the program "Run As User" (Do a google search and you'll find the application). This program drops access rights of specific programs to a user level, thus further preventing the install of malware (several variants of which need power user/administrator rights to install).

To clean infected systems I utilize the following

Trend Micro's housecall. If you own Trend, I'd suggest sticking with Panda's online scanner.
Microsoft Antispyware
Spybot
Hijack This!
CWShredder

However, under my current configuration, I rarely see any form of spyware break in. Additionally, I block several categories of sites that are
a) Inappropriate for work
b) Known to contain massive amounts of spyware

Another tactic that can be used is by updating the hosts file...

Read more about it here

Thanks for the info aquias.

I have the Microsoft Antispyware on machines that can handle it. Those are mostly the Staff machines. The ones that I am having a tough time with are the ones the kids touch. Those are 98Se machines and the Microsoft will not work on those if I am correct in saying.

I have downloaded spyware blaster on mine and use it. Never thought of it for all machines. I have been thinking of firefox on the machines instead of the Hack known as Internet Explorer. Thing is wondering how the kids would use it and manipulate it??

I will ditch AdAware as well. It seemed to work good on the machines, but with what you have said and a few other articles I have recently found it sounds like a good idea.

We use Lightspeed Systems here for our firewall and that is where I was wondering about files that I can block with the filter. Does that make sense? Anyway thanks for the info printing it out now and will also book mark it.

IdahoTech
'Only two things are infinite - the Universe and human Stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe' Albert Einstein

First off, no problem! It's only taken me a years worth of reading this site to learn enough to help ;-)

My first question, can you begin an upgrade of the 98 machines to XP? On the 98 machines I would install spybot and utilize that as the primary line of defense. And you are correct MS only runs on 2000 or higher machines.

As far as Firefox is concerned, download it and take a look at the settings. You can do quite a bit to manipulate how it looks. It is more powerful and does have more built in utilities than IE, so they could find their way into more than you may want them to, especially on machines where you lack the ability to lock down the system.

With Lightspeed, I've never used it so I cannot give you an opinion on it, there is an option for TTC (Total Traffic Control).

This looks like it will help you accomplish what you're looking to do. With this AND a local install of spyware/MS it sounds as if it should help to further clean out your environment.

Well on most of the machines I have installed Spybot S&D and it seems to help, but the machines are still not as fast as they should be before the kids got to them.

As for the upgrade from 98 to XP, well lets just say it would be easier to find Osama Bin Laden than to accomplish that. I had talked about it a few months ago but got the brush and told we can survive with 98Se for a year or two longer....[sadeyes]

I will check out firefox as well. I have it on my system but have never delved that deep into it.

TTC is what we use. I guess I should call it that instead of Lightspeed. I have not had much time to learn it as I would like to. It is a great system to have.[2thumbsup] I can't think of our netowrk without it!!

Again thanks for the help. I know what you mean I scan the forums daily and always find new info and help that I never thought of. This is a great site for IT!!

IdahoTech

If you utilize their TTC option, look at the options it seems to have the ability to block sites and known malware, you may be able to tinker with it to make your network more secure.

Ahh, so by the time they get around to upgrading you'll be going to Longhorn.

Probably, but who knows.

IdahoTech

Assuming of course the courts allow Longhorn to be released... ugh.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Thought about going to the new Linux Desktop from Novell, but talk about throwing a wrench in the works not only for software compatability but also the teachers. They would have a fit!!

IdahoTech

Lloyd,

I think I'm behind the times, can you post a link to what you're referring to???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back