Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Solutions for Bare Metal Restores.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUCATS

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
US
Recently I began looking at a way to backup and restore the OS of our servers. Currently I have been using BackupExec to backup up our file and database servers to tape. But now I'd like to capture the OS too. We're a small shop with 6 W2K servers and 26 users.

Two products I'm looking at right now are Unitrend's appliances (which include Bare Metal Plus) and Veritas' NetBackup with Bare Metal Restore.

Does anyone have experience with either of these products or would recommend another solution for a small company?

Thanks!

Hi

How much data are you currently backing up.

Think that Veritas NBU may be a bit overkill for your needs...CommVault Galaxy has a 'System State' backup as standard with it's Windows iDataAgent, which backs up the registry....it is much cheaper than NBU.

NetBackup = $$

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and thats the truth

Currently we have about 300GB that we are backing up.

With the version of BackupExec we have I'm able to backup the System State so I'm not totally in the dark with all of the Windows settings/config but I would like a good way to completely capture the OS as installed right now to increase our ability to get back up and running if we completely lose a server.

I have talked with Unitrends and I can get a 1.25TB appliance that will do disk-to-disk backups and also provider a complete C partition image that can be restored to a new server in about 30 minutes and have the OS in the same state as it was backed up. This was quoted for around $9999. But I don't know how this pricing/options compares to other devices.

Symmantec has its Live State Recovery BMR product as well.

I think another thing to look at on the bare metal restore is the fine print. Veritas NBU claims that it can do a BMR to different hardware. I would be intrested in how that work. Hmm 1.5 terabytes you can pick that up for around $1500 now ..external RAID solution. Then pick your BMR product. Have you looked at Acronis or Symantec live state

Agree with steveot....there are many vendors who say there product will do BMR to different hardware but, from experience I know it can be more trouble than if you just backup the system state of the server, then you can just reinstall the new server to a default state to get it back onto the network & then reinstall your last sys state backup & volumes from your backups.

might be a late post..
I am using Unitrends Baremetal and works perfectly for me.

CommVault have just relased a BMR solution called 1-Touch, looks like a good bit of kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back