Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best small system? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

David87

Vendor
Sep 5, 2010
US
I’ve been away from the phone business for 12 years. Primary systems then were Panasonic KX-TD and Inter-tel.

Have moved to Colorado Springs and looking to get back into installing small systems, 3-10 CO lines and 9-29 extensions.

I know I ‘m asking the “choir” but it seems that a Partner ACS R8 offers the best value of processor cost, and the availability / cost of modules and used phones. The “large” Voice Messaging card seems just right for most of my clients and saves a module slot.

From what I read, IP Office seems to need more improvements before it is “better” for the typical local insurance office, church, etc.

If not a Partner ACS R8, what are you guys installing for small, single location, companies and why?

Thanks,

David

At this time, my thought would be to stick with the Partner ACS, despite the fact that Avaya has begun to wind down the platform. There is a lot of new hardware out there and replacement parts will be available for many years to come.

Once Avaya gets the Partner version of the IP Office up to speed (the auto attendant/voicemail is sorely lacking right now), and it passes muster with installers & their customers, then add it into the mix.

The last I read....Avaya will be adding some enhancements in November & more will be coming in early 2011.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

We actually found if you are installing a phone system with less than 22 extensions and 8 analog lines, then the IP Office becomes very cost effective. The embedded voicemail is more intuitive than the Large PC card and better yet, there is no extra cost for it. Plus, you can scale up to 360 users so you do not need to worry about running out of slots/room. I would not advise purchasing the IP Office Partner Edition. It just doesn't justify the cost. You can only add 18 Partner style phones to the system. Plus, it seems that they havent migrated some of the key features from the Partner ACS to the Partner Edition. Third and foremost, the box is the same cost. Where the IP office becomes costly is when you start adding expansion modules and voicemail pro. You can work around the expansion modules by purchasing combo cards and going with IP Phones. If you are looking for Refurb equipment, Partner ACS is the way we go.

A.J. Wiesner
AT&D Communications

I am with jinxs the IP Office is very flexible and will add features with R6.1 and more with R7 but you will need to either stay away from IP telephony or you need to seriously invest in networking and VoIP training and reading glasses for the manuals.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

Westi wrote:

you will need to either stay away from IP telephony or you need to seriously invest in networking and VoIP training and reading glasses for the manuals.

I have given that serious thought as well as the fact that you have to be able to explain it to the client. Good old POTS is extremely dependable. I'm not as comfortable trusting DSL, Cable broadband and the entire Internet. I can see getting calls for problems that are outside the equipment and services I provided.

Thanks for the answers and I would welcome any other input.

David87

The analogue hardware support from IPO sucks! It is not robust, and the ACS WILL beat it any day of the week!!!

Remember the IPO is NOT American, and does NOT have our phone system logic!

Stick with the ACS it will be around a long time.

....JIM....

I have installed both IPO and P ACS and for the price they are good machines but overall other I prefer the Nortel product line, Nortel was purchased by Avaya and they decided to kill the Norstar platform but the BCM is staying.
Panasonics are very difficult to work on in my opinion, Inter tel(Mitel) are good, Toshibas rae cheap and easy to install.
It really boils down to your preference and what the customer wants. I will continue to sell, support and repair Nortels until teh cows come home, to me they were and are the best.

My two cents worth - have worked on all three. Am growing to like the IP Office more and more - a system equipped w/ digital sets really is no different from any other non-IP based, plus you have the IP functionality for the if/when scenarios. The embedded voice mail is pretty slick and the email function is well-liked.

I have migrated from mostly ACS for smaller businesses to mostly IP Office for smaller businesses - don't sell much new Nortel but work on a lot of embedded stuff. Ditto above comments on Toshiba, don't like Panasonic or Mitel, and have recently become very interested in the Allworx product that was purchased by Paetec. Probably the most intuitive user friendly phones I have seen in years - plus customers like the look and feel of them a lot. I date back to the Bell System days, so for me to endorse another product so highly is almost painful but oh well there it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back