Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Scripting Tools for A Windows 2000 roll-out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2001
US
I am embarking on Windows 2000 rollout and seeking ideas/solutions for it's sucess. Here are some vague specifics that I would like positive or negative input on from anyone who has worked with this type of project.

Windows 2000 Base Image creation tools - WISE, Ghost 7.0 and WinInstall.

Project Musts for Client Satisfaction:
1. Migrate profiles from old 9.x/nt4 box to new box/W2K os.
2. App Image tool needed? ANY IDEAS? besides picturetaker.
3. A tool to perform non-manual movement of bookmark.htm file and other personality/machine attributes.
4. Tools to script users ghost image to server/tape.

Thanks in advance.

I would definitely use the Altiris Suite to do the job.
It includes imaging sw (ibmaster), firm tool to acces fat and NTFS partitions (you would need this to make changes) and the deployment can also run in broadcast mode, so it does not matter wheather you are seting up 10 or 100 computers is uses the same bandwith. And also, the suite has a tool called PC Transplant Pro that you can use to take settings, files, or whatever you want for the old machines and then put everything back in the new OS.

I´m using it and until now it works great.

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back