Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best router, PoE switch for VOIP, Bloomberg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqualinx

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2008
I am trying to devise a solution for a new VOIP & Bloomberg installation at my small office, and am looking for suggestions of what networking hardware is best to buy.

My contemplated setup/requirements below:

- Dual WAN with load balancing for reliability & to help ensure VOIP quality (Comcast cable & Embarq DSL)
- VPN capable (min. 4 connections)
- good QoS (to prioritize VOIP)
- VLAN? (to segregate VOIP)
- PoE (for IP phones) would be nice
- good integrated firewall

6 connections to the router (thinking RV082): server, Bloomberg terminal, VOIP PBX, WAP, workgroup multifunction Xerox, & PoE switch (thinking SRW2008MP).

7 IP phones would connect to PoE switch (thinking SRW2008MP)

Again, any thoughts, suggestions, different setups to provide better performance, reliability, security & value greatly appreciated!

P.S. using Belkin N1 as current router/firewall/WAP, would just connect as WAP unless suggested better solution out there - this all is quite a move up for us! The VPN connections are for client facilities in Oklahoma and Indiana.

You might want to look at Juniper Networks SSG series products. I think you will find more flexiblity and security than any of the current Linksys stuff, and no BUGGY firmware!

Just a suggestion from experience!

....JIM....

I would take serious looks at the 3Com, Cisco, and Juniper switches. For a firewall with good QoS, VPN, VLAN, bla bla bla, look into the Watchguard Firebox 750e.

I would also have everything plug into the switch to handle the VLANs and QoS on the LAN. Then uplink to the firewall for QoS outbound, and firewall/vpn...

While there are some good hardware recommendations here, I'm guessing that if you're currently looking at a $300 router and $400 switch, then a $2,500 firewall plus a $3,000 switch isn't in your budget.

As someone who's had the pleasure of setting up high end networks but also had to do it on the cheap, here's my two cents for the latter.

NETGEAR SSL312 SSL VPN Firewall (if SSL will work) or

NETGEAR SRXN3205 All-in-one if you prefer

NETGEAR JGS524 GB Switch for computers

Cisco SRW208MP PoE Switch for IP phones

Talkswitch VOIP PBX & PoE phones

Good NAS (Buffalo or equiv.) depending on your server

If you are looking for a stable connection to Bloomberg you should ditch the broadband and get a dedicated connection with an SLA.

Similarly, if you are looking for reliable VOIP connectivity, you REALLY should consider decent dedicated internet access such as a T1. The difference in latency, jitter and QoS between a cable or DSL connection and a good T1 is significant. Especially if you are going to be having more than 3 or 4 people on the phones (externally) at the same time, consider this very seriously.

I am assuming that if you run a Bloomberg service that your voice calls are considered toi be mission critical... VOIP even at the best of times has enough challenges - don't try to run critical services across cable or DSL!

We are the IP voice product and system manufacturer with the leading market scale in China and with the most complete product lines in this industry. Our products include FreeGo series gateways, softswitch systems, billing management systems, Internet voice value-added service platforms, and video terminal systems, etc., which are characterized by complete specifications and good compatibility.

Our VoIP Phone, voice gateway and media gateway are high quality and well know products. If you are on the market for VoIP Products, just feel free let me know, we are always at your services.

For more information, pls visit our website:
E: Jessie@allywll.com
T: 86-755-61248800
MSN: Jessie_allywll@hotmail.com

I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back