Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Product between StorageManager,ArcServe 2000 & Bakup Exec

Status
Not open for further replies.

vic69

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2001
US
Hi guys,I'm working a to choose the best product between Tivoli StorageManager ver 4.2,CA ArcServe 2000 & Bakup Exec 8.5 for W2k.Hw will be a IBM 3583 Ultrium library.Unfortunately I've no experience with backup sw and reading all forums I'm still confuse.Someone can give to me suggestions helping to take the right decision?
Thanks in advance
Vincenzo

Hey Vic,

My company also has a few 3583 tape libraries as well. We evaluated Legato and TSM but did not evaluate ArcServe or Backup Exec. Between TSM and Legato we decided to go with TSM.

Setting TSM was pretty easy and I have the install doc if you are interested. So far TSM has been solid and the 3583 LTO tape library has been working great!!

Also, TSM came out with NDMP support which is great because we could now back up our NAS boxes.

Tivoli, Legato and in a comletely different league to arcserve and backup exec.

Tivoli is storage management not backup, and is by far the superor product, yes its easy to install and use, but only really worth the money if you know it inside out and can use all it has to offer. Do u have unix? that will narrow down your options. <<< Experience shows that no amount of effort can alter reality >>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back