Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best practise on pausing a project in Microsoft Project 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoNeoOne

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2013
ZA
Dear all,

I hope that you are well.

I would kindly like your advice and what the best practises are when it is required to pause a project.

Let me explain the scenario:
I have a task deliverable set for 8 work hours. The task is dependent on the client for example providing us with images to complete the entire 8 hour task deliverable.

Now we have completed 2 hours of actual work on the task but the other 6 hours are dependent on these images. The client still has not provided us with the images to be able to complete the task. It has been two days since and therefore in theory my project end date moves on by 2 days.

How does one update this in Project 2013? What are the best practises? And does anyone have a tutorial / website where I can read up on this?

Thanks in advance.
geo

That's a good idea! I might also suggest this approach: Create 3 trasks:
% Complete Work Duration Resource Name
1. Create initial deliverable 100% 2 1 John Smith
2. Acquire immages from client 0% 0 3? Client
3. Complete final deliverable 0% 6 1 John Smith

If you were to structure your schedule like this, thens save the baseline, you can now show it is the client that is causing the delay in the deliverable and/or project.

Hope this helps!
You can find some additional tips on MS Project here:

JBlack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back