Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Practices? Merlin Mail Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillusingmerlin

Programmer
Jan 21, 2008
US
I have just installed a Merlin Mail R3 in a Legend system.

Company policy states all phones must be answered by a human during business hours so this vm will be used only during night service.

However, I have some users who will be traveling and need to check vm during the day. Obviously, I can't just let vm answer since it's not nighttime. I was going to make the vm calling a DID extension but TouchToneTommy pointed out the security risk.

So, what is the best practice for this desired setup? Am I going to have to have another employee transfer the remote employee into vm?

If you do assign a DID to the vm make sure to change any admin passwords from the default & restrict the vm ports.

Do the employee's themselves have DID numbers? Have them call their own DID, wait for voicemail, and dial *7

Employees do each have DID numbers. But I can't let the offsite employee during the day call in and hit *7 since:

1) VM is only on at night so the attendant won't answer
and
2) Employees phone are covered multiple ways since policy has a human answering all day so a co-worker would answer before auto attendant anyway. We have group coverage and individual coverage types out the wazoo.

Looks like I either have to make the co-worker transfer the offsite employee to the calling group or accept the security risks of having the calling group have a DID extension.

How is the risk any worse than when at night the auto attendant answers and the caller hits *7 and trys to guess my sys admin pwd?

Same difference - the Auto Attendant will answer the DID during the day - caller must know to dial the *7 -don't make that part of the recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back