Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Practices for Naming DC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryoun1b

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
Hello,

I have a NT 4 network consisting of 4 servers, 1 PDC, and 1 BDC. The BDC is running Exchange 5.5, file, and print services. The PDC is just a PDC and also runs Symantec Anti-virus in a Symantec Anti-virus group with a member server.

I have purchased a new dual P-4 Xeon rack-mounted solution to be used as my new Exchange 2000, file, and print services machine.

In bringing up my first machine into Active Directory, I noticed that the first AD machine is named machine1.domainname.com as an example, but subsequent DC would become children of the first DC, like machine2.machine1.domainname.com.

Am I referring to DNS implmentation or am I required to create a child DC from a root DC and name it as such?

Basically, I'm also confused about best practices in naming the first DC, and subsequent DC's with respect to their server names and also DNS names.

Please shed some light!

Your firt DC machine is named machine1.domainname.com, and others machine2.domainname.com, machine3.domainname.com, ...

When you install a new machine you select its domain name (domainname.com) and its new name (machine2 for example), so its name is machine2.domainname.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back