Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Practices for linking two data sets into one 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchewsmith

Technical User
Nov 20, 2006
US
I am trying to create a report that needs to link two different rows of data into one.

I have a mortgage and a 2nd mortgage and these are both individual rows in our tables. The Mortgage id is 123456 and the 2nd mortgage id is 123456x2nd I need to create a report that shows the detail from both the mortgage and 2nd mortgage in the same detail section.

I tried creating a sub report and linking the ids by trimming the last 4 characters. This worked but was very slow in processing.

I then tried to create a command and linking the same way but it is still very slow to process.

What is the best method to pull data from two different data sets into one and keeping the processing speed for the report?

table sample:

123456 Joe Doe loan Amt: 50000 number of years 30
123456x2nd Joe Doe Loan Amt: 10000 number of year 10

I want my report to display in the details section:

Joe Doe loan amount 50000 30 years
loan amount 10000 10 years

If you group on a formula:

Left({table.mortageID},6)

...you should get the desired display. You can format the name field to “suppress if duplicated”.

-LB

One option is to create a database VIEW or a Crystal Command as the data source for the report and use a UNION ALL in the SQL:
Select * From mortgage
UNION ALL
Select * From SecondMortgage

view, export, burst, email, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back