Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Practices for Directory Organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

KristieLee1

Technical User
Jul 13, 2009
US
Hi. Hope I'm posting this in the right group. Apologies if I'm not, and suggest a better place.

Anyway, I'm at a new job, where their directories are OUT OF CONTROL! Folders nested 5-6-7 folders deep, duplicates, no structure, no rhyme or reason for their setup.

Does anyone have any ideas/links on how I can get this under control, and the best way to approach management with a new plan?

Budget data is in the same folder as Halloween pics and access databases.

Thanks in advance.

You can use a data management system like Novell Storage Manager (for eDirectory or Active Directory).

You can set up rules and have them automatically move data to new locations and keep the rights along with the directories, even set attributes and vault folders when users are deleted/moved.

They just released a beta version of 3.0 for Active Directory and will be releasing the production version in less than a month.

Of course, you'll still need a good structure for your directories, but this tool will definitely help you manage them. We manage about 20,000 users with this tool.

Thank you both for the valuable information. I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back