Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best practice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassidyHunt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2004
US
I have a report that has 4 columns. Each of the columns pertains to the same data but in different ways. Column 1 is this month actual, Column 2 is this month budget, Column 3 is year to date actual, column 4 is year to date budget.

Since there is a filter placed on the data I am finding out that filter is report wide. I have not found a way to have a filter only to a single instance of the object. That leads me to believe that I would be better off to use 4 subreports for the data.

What is the best practice for that?

Cassidy

It would be much simpler to use conditional formulas to create your columns, like this:

//{@monthactual}:
if {table.date} in monthtodate then // or lastfullmonth? {table.actualamt}

//{@yeartodateactual}:
if {table.date} in yeartodate then
{table.actualamt}

Repeat for budgeted amounts. Place these in the detail section and right click and insert summaries (sums) on them. Then suppress the detail sections. For the budgeted amounts, if they are duplicated, you might need to insert maximums.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back