Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Best Practice' question for forms, controls & their queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

garybug

Programmer
Jul 27, 2003
GB
I have a number of combo box controls on different forms, that in theory could use the same query.

Is it better that I give them all their own query, so maintaining flexibility in case of future changes, or have them share the same query, and just change the column widths (i.e. to 0cm) as required.

My own thoughts are that it's OK for simple queries such as the above, but where there might be potential for change, to give them their own query..

Ta

G

I'd stick with one until you have a reason to create separate ones.

I also don't save them as querydefs - I just store the SQL statement. This saves cluttering the DB window with hundreds of queries.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

I don't see any advantage to having different queries. When the time comes that some queries need to be changed, it will be the same amount of work, you wouldn't have any benefit if you had made different queries from the start.

Ed
Thanks for that, although I do like to have the querydefs so I can have a look at what's going on without having to put the form in design view.

Joe
Thanks, and your point makes sense about the workload. I'm sold!

Regards

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back