Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best practice for replacing Exchange 2k with 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2003
US
We are currently running Exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server. I am in the process of setting up a brand new server with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. Once finished with all of this I am not going to be running the old Exchange server, I am only going to be using the 2003.

Any general suggestions on the best way to do this... Would it be easier to upgrade the existing Exchange 2k to Exchange 2003, then move it over to the 2003 server?

My experience with upgrading the OS and exchange is not good. If you have the recources build a new exchange box on w2k3 join the AD and the existing exchange org and move the mail boxes

Hi Matthew,

I think Brian is right.
I aslo encountered the same bad experience with OS and Citrix servers.
The last time i done this (it was a server with NT4.0 and Exchange 5.5), I have implemented a new server with W2K and EX2K and moved mailboxes. After I had disable the old server.
You could find many information on the Microsoft Technet Web site, if not reply the post and I will send you informations.

Regards.
Arnaud.

What are your thoughts on servername issues... Is it ultimately going to be best to keep the same server name, or does it not matter since I am building a new Exchange server and moving all the mailboxes/public folders?

Matthew,

As I remember, it is not possible in an Exchange organization to have 2 servers with the same name.

That's true, I guess I was thinking along the lines of a system restore....In that case in order to get the database to mount you need to have the same servername.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back