Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Plan for Server Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortelfan

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2002
US
I have a 2003 server that I need to backup in total - operating system and attached raid 5 device. Any ideas on the best hardware or software or both to accomplish the task. Symantec Livestate looks promising, but I have not seen it in action.

The total backup is about 200gb and growing. Total loss is what is most important - the occasional accidentally deleted file is a far second in a solution. There is a SQL database involved.

I would also like to talk about the same type solution that would allow a quick backup of the system before a service patch or upgrade. If anything went wrong, I need to get the system back up and running ultra fast. Nothing like there being no problem and then creating one by trying to make things better.

A patch or upgrade putting this much data at risk is a real concern.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Your best bet is probably a DLT. How fast is it growing. Windows backup may be okay for all you need.

We are growing approx 5gb per month. I would like to stay away from tape backup if possible.

Here is my plan.
Backup data onsite and then create an offsite backup.

I would like to backup to disk and then backup, ftp, copy, etc. data from the backup disk to an offsite storage location so that no devices or tapes need be handled by staff.

Because of the massive amount of files in a single directory (500,000 + ) I continue to run out of memory on whatever backup server I use. I have used a dual xeon with 2gb of ram and the software would run out of memory trying to create the file list for backup.

I cannot break-up the backup since all the new files get dumped to the same directory.

Thanks birky -

Took a look at backagain and I am using the trial version now. I really like the software, but one huge hangup is the inablility to backup open files without the use of third party software. The one they suggest is several hundred dollars on top of their software cost (which their price is an extremely good price).

I am looking at double o and like their solution also. It includes the open file backup, but does not have a "bare metal" restore at this point. I talked to the programmer, and he is working on it an hopes to have it out soon.

If you like BackAgain you may be interested in BackupAssist instead.

Open file backup comes free with the standard version. I'm not familiar with double o, what is that exactly?

Sorry - Used wrong name. Try a search on double image. They are lacking a "bare metal" restore at the moment, but I talked with one of the programmers and they are working on that portion now. (They provided me with how to go about it the long way now) Extremely fast backup and copies much like copy and paste - instead of compressing into one backup file. Much nicer to look at and to restore individual files from.

I will take a look at backupassist also. Thanks

Update:

Looking at backupassist, but the asr from microsoft that they use for their "bare metal solution" locked our server up last night - not good. I am working with a rep at backupassist to resolve this issue and hopefully can move forward with an evaluation.

Yep backup to disk is your best solution. It's easy upgradable as your data grows and it's fully fault tollarant.

I suggest with an additional backup server, raid the data with stripe and mirror it. Products like i-data which compresses and encrypts the data or Virtualapps have a dedicated site for the backup solution which I cant remember, it images the servers whilst their powered on including open files, then you can browse the files to restore in seconds.

Richard Davis

what is most important is DATA. everyone has ideas on what works best for them in a specific enviroment. there are several things to ask yourself because you are the one they will be coming too in the event of a crash and those people of power will sleep good when your burning the midnight oil.

my setup is as follows.

windows 2000 server , currently backing up 100g of data and growing a couple gig a month. I use HP'S LTO drive.

and this works very sweet I have used the DAT and the DLT with good success but the LTO is the best for my apps. I use native ntbackup that runs a sript every night that does a backup up my server.

I also have a couple of sata drives that i copy data to on a regular basis and to kick it up another notch I burn dvd's of my critical data as well.

so, with all the ideas of how or what is best. actually breaks down to how well is your data protected.

I sleep very well at night and have not LOST a single shred of data in 8 years with my current employer.

hope this helps or at least open some eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back