Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best password method with time factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimoli

Technical User
Jul 30, 2010
US
8/19/22 I have read many posts about this topic but wonder, which is the best one for me.
I have an Access database and need protection but do not want anything too complicated.

I am thinking, give me ability to change the password say every 3 months.
And prevent someone hiring a knowledgeable Access person to get into our Table data.
I this possible?? Thanks.

I think you need to provide more detail to get a good answer. I'm just now seeing this for the first time, as I rarely check-in at TT anymore.

That said, here are some thoughts:
[ol 1]
[li]Split database design. You did not specify your database design, but your tables should be in a separate database, always, whether that's Access, SQL Server, or something else.
This will provide additional security for protecting data tables besides better stability with Access applications.[/li]
[li]What is the password for? The database? Why does it need to change every 3 months? Is it a password for the entire database? Again, split database design would likely help here as well, as I would imagine you could assign 1 password to the backend and a separate to the frontend, and then the frontend could expire. Or maybe, again never tried, you could have a different password for each different front-end database. I'd want to at least consider that if I were handling this.[/li]
[li]Not sure of the details here, nor if possible because I've not needed to worry about it, but I would also want to see if Windows authentication could be used here to simplify it all. Then if someone should no longer have access, you remove (or have someone remove) that user's permissions to the database/folder.[/li]
[/ol]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Access ACCDB fundamentally are not secure.

Put your data in an RDBMS (e.g. SQL Server) and manage security there. Do not embed passwords in your connection string.
You can use DSNLESS connections via code, set the password for sign on at startup and use an ACCDE file to keep the password secure within the file. It has been a while, I'd have to search for specifics of specifying the sign on programmatically.

The old Through Access 97 .mdb's had workgroup security... It wasn't completely secure but the model worked but we are well past that now.

10/1/22 I want to discourage a couple of employees from stealing our Access database.
One of them did so years ago. And use it for himself. I want to make a simple login method. Nothing fancy. Nothing fool proof. Just to make 3 employees think they cannot get inside the file unless they know the password. Which we would change every 2 or 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back