Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Parts for Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesTalon

Technical User
Apr 22, 2003
US
I've recently decided to customize a rig that is designed for mostly gaming (minimal word processing needed =P), and I've been getting peoples opinion on the best parts to get.

Well, I am and always been been an avid AMD fan, so if I were building a system it would be with the follow:

Epox 8RDA+ or Asus A7V8X-X
Athlon XP 2800+ (or any athlon with barton core 333 bus)
Radeon 9800 Pro or Geforce4 TI 4800
1GB PC2700 DDR
WD 120GB 8MB 7200 DMA100 Drive

But those are pretty much more higher end items, a lot depends on how much cash you have to spend. :)

Have fun!

AMD all the way. And I'm not saying that just because I am a former stock holder. The P4 chip wasn't even faster than an equivelent (In Ghz) P3 chip until it got to the 2.4 GHz mark, at which point it started to slowly pull away. For Vid card, I'm partial to the nVidia. I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4400 manufactured by MSI. It does well. Sound blaster makes a pretty sweet "gamers" edition of their latest sound card. I bought the Audigy when it was released, but that was a while ago.

I think for the money, AMD is the best bet. The only 2 problems I ever has was with heat and the 4-in-1 drivers.

I had all AMD PC's until I got tired of all the overheating. And the noisy fans that I needed to keep them cool!

As far as the drivers, every now and again it seemed the drivers would cause problems with a few of my games. I would have to uninstall current drivers & reinstall any new ones from the web.

I just got a P4 2.66GHZ and am very happy with it. It's silent and doesn't run hot like my AMD's do.

I run an MSI GeForce 4 TI 4200 123 MEG video card with a sound blaster card. I run 640 (128 + 512) MEG DDR 2700 RAM. All this made a great rig for under $700.

Mark.

You guys obviously don't keep an eye on the latest harware, unfortunately if it's ultimate then P4 just stole the show.
P4 3.06 Hyperthreading 800fsb CPU
ATI Radeon 9800pro or Nvidia FX 5800 ultra (the jury is still out on which is the best) but you might want to wait for of of Nvidia's NV35 equipt boards, the 5900ultra, which are rumoured to be very special indeed.
One of the new 800fsb motherboards (intels Canterwood or the SIS? name to be anounced)
Some Special 433 or 466mhz DDR ram Corsair XMS etc
Enermax PSU
Audigy 2 Platinum
Maybe watercooling or a vapourchill case
A couple of the new serial ATA150 hard drives raided for performance

But then if it's the next best thing you want go for an Nforce2 motherboard, the Asus A7N8X Deluxe or Abits NF7S
Maybe a 9700pro ATI, two sticks of PC2700 (DDR333)
A Barton core (333fsb) XP CPU XP2.7+ maybe
Audigy 2 sound card
Western Digitals special addition 8mb cache Hard drive

The second system will probably cost you half the cost of the first.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I bought my system off ebay for 906$ to my door

Koolance liquid cooled pc2-601bw (black liquid cooled case)
soyo p4x400 dragon ultra motherboard (onboard everything, except video(that's a good thing)) :)
p4 3.06 hyperthreaded 533 fsb
512MB Corsair low latency PC3200 (400Mhz ddr)
ATI Radeon 9700 pro
WD 40GB 7200 rpm 8MB Cache hdd
48x12x48 lite on cdrw

it overclocks quite nicely, have it running rock solid 3.52Ghz at 29 degrees celcius after 3 hours of quake3 arena running 1600x1200 all details on. I like :)

if you go AMD, get a barton 3000+ or 3200+
for the video card.. I'd wait just a little bit and get a radeon 9800 pro 256MB.. that thing will decimate anything nvidia has out :)
the new raptor hdd is looking nice.. 10000 rpm eide, a little pricy, but give it time. also get a hdd cooler, either air or liquid depending on your setup.
as far as cooling.. go liquid cooled, and buy copper chipset blocks for your chipsets (onboard and video card). These will dramatically increase stability, and a good dual rear single in fan should be enough to cover the rest.

Nick
Computer Support, no not just hardware.. I support everything :)

actually the new p4's with the 800 fsb are 3000 mhz, not 3060.. 3060 is the old 533 bus.. I think intel has the 3200 on a 800 bus now.. freakin smokin!

as far as memory.. try to get your hands on OCZ's new PC3700.. you can overclock the crap out of their memory and still run rock solid.. I bet the cpu will give before the memory 1:1 :)

I stand corrected but at least I pointed out the introduction of the new P4's. :)

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back