Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best page file size for 64bit systems with large amounts of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
does anybody know if the recommended page file size is the same 1.5x the size of the physical ram if you're running 64bit systems and 16gb or 32gb of physical ram?

All the recommendations I find still seem to recommend that, but the examples used are always like 512mb or maybe 2gb of physical ram.

Many application servers will have recommended amounts. You're best served by checking the recommendations from the app vendor.

By default, I use at least RAM+1GB.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!.

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

thanks, I have been surprised at how hard it has been to get any feedback or real world information on something basic like this.

Don't really have any vendors to go to on this one.

Paging file settings can have either a positive or negative effect on a servers performance.

There are other things that can certainly help, like dedicated volumes for the paging file, or not putting apps or data on the volume containing the paging file, etc.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!.

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

I think most of those settings, dedicated volumns etc. are still pretty much the same as they have always been. I had just never seen anything new that gave examples using the huge amounts of ram most of the newer servers come with and wondered if the same standards for a 1gb machine would be appropriate for a 32gb machine.

For most of my large servers (64Gigs plus) I stick with 4-8 Gig page file. Doing memory size and higher doesn't really work with 256 Gigs of RAM.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

I used to provide support for a customer running a custom Compuware application on Win2K3 64-bit with 16/32GB of RAM on each system. Tweaking pagefile settings was getting to be a real issue as sometimes assigned paging space would be exhausted by the application (design flaw.. who knows). Using the option to allow the system assign the pagefile size worked best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back