Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best NON-GAMER Video Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dupuytren

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
US
My computer usage does NOT include gaming which seems to be the obsessive focus of all video card manufacturers. Which genre of card would be best for business applications to include occasional use of graphics programs like PhotoShop?

Then look at professional workstation graphics cards from Nvidia, ATI and Matrox.
All three of these manufactures make excellent workstation graphics solutions depending on budget.
It sounds like your usage is fairly undemanding so any entry level GPU will fit the bill as would any "gaming card" for that matter.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Matrox is your business video card maker by excellence. A G550 will be more than enough for your ordinary desktop needs.
On the other hand, if your motherboard has a good enough embedded video chip, you could do away with a slot-in video card altogether.

Pascal.

I was going to say wnat pmonett said, that you can get away with onboard video.
I do very little gaming as well, and i dont run the heavy duty games that require good vid cards, but i do use a 32 mb radeon agp card that can be had very cheap these days. I have another computer with a geforce 32mb card, same thing, works fine.
I have another computer that is using onbard intel extreme graphics, on another 21 inch crt monitor and its fine for what i do, just plain bus apps, net and email, small bit of graphics, editing still pics that is.
I have a 21 inch crt monitor set to 1152x864 at 70 hz with the radeon card and all is well.
Yes, i have 4 computers that i use all the time, lol.

Point is that you really dont have to spend a penny, or just a few dollars for a cheap card unless you are into heavy gaming or very heavy graphics.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back