Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best/most useful buttons for end users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2011
US
I have our current 3 CO lines showing, so users have an idea of which lines are already in use and to make it easier for them to dial out; then everyone will have "Handsfree/Mute" and one "Intercom" (maybe two now I think about it - I'll have to double check); then I want everyone to have "DND". That leaves me with 3-4 open spots on the 7310s we have and 1-2 on the 7208s. The 7208s are with users who need a less sophisticated phone and the 7310s are with managerial level users.

What, in your opinion, are the best/most useful buttons for the open spots? I would like to get all the like model phones programmed the same way to start with, even if users decide later to program them differently.

Also, does anyone know of a source for individual pre-printed button caps rather than the lit packs? I have need of maybe 20 "Line 3" caps and lesser numbers of "DND" and whatever else is decided on.

Edit: Afterthought - I'll probably keep "Page" on the 7310s too, so that'll be 2-3 open spots on those.

The defaults that are supplied against the spare buttons tend to all be useful such as Speed dial or Call Forward etc. Last Number Redial is always a good one for those who make a lot of outgoing calls.

The answer really depends on the type of business that is using the phone system. Over here in the UK, we don't tend to use the paging much as users tend to find it annoying if it's in an open plan office.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

LOL! Managers here are so full of themselves that I can't imagine them NOT having and using the page button. One guy I used to work with in particular it was almost was like, "How dare you be away from your desk when I'm trying to reach you. I will page you right away as evidence of my displeasure".

Programmed button for VM...that's one I've thought of that would be good to have.

Also I only have the one "Intercom", so that is an extra button on each to play with!

I agree depends on the business and questions like

Do they all answer inbound calls
If so do they need to transfer calls or page people
Page may only be needed for reception set too....or the fat cat in the corner.

Describe your inbound call handling might yield better answers.

I always show the client a list of features, let them choose and give them the software to change their own buttons/labels should the want as well I train them how to do F*1 82 and *3.

Your local vendor may have heaps of buttons if you want specific ones otherwise order online norstar button packs

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Many buttons don't need a display indicator. Paging, VM access, Last Number,Speed Dial put these on the upper keys of the 7310. Ones useful with indicator; DSS/BLF, Forward, DND, VM Interrupt.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Good point. My mind had already relegated the upper buttons as only being useful for speed dialing. I guess I've never actually seen them used for anything beyond that before.

Hey David,

It really is interesting to see the difference in paging in North America vs. Europe. Very rarely do you hear paging at retail stores in Europe, correct?

Here in the USA it's more common than not. Some places page better than others, such as luxury department Nordstrom...which uses standard music microphones for paging, even though they have a highly advanced Avaya PBX in all of their stores. The paging is short and crisp such as "Bill Dillwood 56"

Other stores, such as the local grocery store Mariano's make pages very frequently and they do not train users to press the "Call Release" button programmed on their Toshiba telephones.

Stores that used Nortel systems always had the advantage to tell users to press the Orange or Red button to end the page, so you hear clean disconnects more often with the Nortel equipment. For example, TJX stores use paging and associates always RLS to end a page.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back