Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best modem for Linux & Windows 2000prof

Status
Not open for further replies.

damiandixon

Programmer
Mar 25, 2001
GB
Please could anyone suggest a good modem for both windows 2000 prof and Linux.

I would prefer a modem which has a hardware DSP and the protocol software on the modem, due to problems with current winmodem (even though it works on linux, it runs very slow on both OS's).

I've not had much joy with asking manufacturers or suppliers and the more a look the more confusing the picture gets :<

Thanks
Damian.

If you want to simplify your life, just use an external modem.

Otherwise, I would suggest that you take a look at for a listing of Winmodems that have linux drivers written for them.

I have had a VERY hard time finding a hardware controller based modem that is internal, although I understand that the USR Courier modems are still hardware based. But why pay that much?

I have a Zoom external that works flawlessly. I also have an Actiontec, based on the Lucent chipset in my laptop. The Lucent drivers work well under Linux, Win9x/ME and under Win2k. Haven't tried XP yet.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back