Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best method to access Sql Server on Intranet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoleM

Programmer
Oct 18, 2001
ZA
Hi there,

I would like some advice, I would like to create a frontend for a Sql Server Database (or even Ms Access if this would be faster - accessing records I mean)
Basically I need to rewrite the current system which is an ADP used to access a Sql Server Database.
The reason for the rewrite is that the adp just runs too slowly when opened across the network, my idea is to write Asp pages to access the data, however I am wondering if asp is going to make any difference to the performance?

any other advice / options will be greatly appreciated,
ps there are approximately only 200 records per table and I believe only about 200 will be added per year.... (although they will be maintained on a regular basis)... would an access database be more suited for this purpose?

Thank you for you time!

Hi,

ASP and ASP.NET work fine in accessing SQL Server. The performance is dependent on the query and database design. I also recommend using stored procedure calls within your ASP coding, instead of in-line SQL.

The connection method you use for an ASP or ASP.NET page can be ADO.NET or ADO.

Best Regards,
Joseph Sack, Author of "SQL Server 2000 Fast Answers for DBAs and Developers".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back