Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best method to access data/applications between 2 secure networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

morall20

Technical User
Jan 11, 2007
US
I have a problem! Let me give some background first; I work under a contract that is shared between two separate companies but under the contract we must share common files and applications. Unfortunately both companies have network security concerns and won't allow access to each other networks; another problem we share is that both companies are literately on the opposite side of the country from each other. One is on the west coast the other is on the east. All the databases and applications resided on the sub-contractor west coast location and I with other remote sites need to access them here on the primary east coast locations. We’ve been experimenting with Citrix Meta-server but it’s slow, choppy, and sometimes unreliable when it comes to connectivity and printing from the server is painfully slow. We need to able to make real time updates to our databases and also have to capability to transfer files between each other and fast batch-printing capability is essential. So my question is what alternatives could I consider to try and make this system more a) accessible b) reliable and c) quicker. I’m assuming that we may have to move all the stuff to an independent ISP server to remedy the security issues. Keep in mind common folders must be accessible between both companies or databases won’t work otherwise and that we all need to able to work in conjunction with our local intranet networks as well! How would you resolve it?

if they're (you're) not going to use Citrix (that's what we do for internal staff) you should set up an FTP server. They can share all they want securely from there. The only issue you'll have to dela with is to ensure all data is sync'd with live data from the two parties.

Tom

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back