Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best method- large dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chivo

Programmer
Oct 25, 2006
GB
Hi all,

I've created a small site and would like to add some new functionality. It's a football site and what I plan to do is add a match results page. The results I have in excel format but can easily convert to plain text, csv, access, etc.

As I'm new to html I'm not sure of the best method to use- nor really how to go about doing it. My thought at the moment is to use PERL to access a DB and embed the PERL in my HTML. If someone has a better suggestion then I'm willing to listen.

Going with my original choice I can at the moment access records from a db file via a PERL script I have written but cannot seem to embed this within HTML. Any hints on that would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Chivo

There's a dedicated Perl Forum here : forum219

If you know perl -stick to that. If you wanna start learnning new stuff, then I sugget you have a look at PHP.

There's a PHP forum here : forum434

Let me know if you wanna go down that route, and I'll give you a few more hints ;-)

Hi dkdude,

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly new to web design but have learned alot of PERL so for now I'd be as well sticking to that. The unfortunate thing is my host package doesn't have PHP capabilites so I'll have to leave that for now. When I finally do get around to PHP I'll give you a shout if you don't mind. ;)

I'll create another thread in the PERL forum since tha seems like the best option. Thanks for the advice.

Chivo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back