Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best javascript manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

binarybabe

Programmer
May 13, 1999
US
Just wondering what the popular opinion is regarding the best javascript manual. I feel like I need more information regarding syntax before I get concerned with looking at the fancy stuff. And of course, if I understand syntax, the fancy stuff will follow easily. I really want to get to the point where I can build some of these scripts myself or easily edit ones that I find. One person recommended "JavaScript the Definitive Guide", another didn't like it because it wasn't clear with the syntax. It's an 800 page book - daunting, but not impossible.<br>
<br>
Ideas? What book has helped you and why?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
binarybabe<br>

I like the JavaScript Bible by Danny Goodman. It is by IDG publishing & comes with a CD. It costs $49.99 at Borders books.

Javascript the Definitive Guide" is the best JavaScript book I've seen, its like the Bible on JS. But it shouldn't be used as a "Javascript in 21 days" text book. Its a reference book. I read through the first 12 chapters on core javascript, then used the tutoral at webmonkey.com. I feel like I have a really solid grasp on JS now. Don't let the 800 pages daunt you, the last 400 or so are just reference, they list all the commands in alphabetical order. You can get it through amazon.com for $29.99 (normal coverprice is $39.99). If you don't buy it now, you'll kick yourself in the future because if you're serious about JS you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back