Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best home VoIP solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericb123

MIS
Mar 3, 2008
US
Any help is greatly appreciated.

I currently have my home phone service through my cable company for $44 a month, which seems like a lot, because we hardly ever use this phone. My wife and I use our cell phones mostly, but don't want to give up the home phone line completely.

So I was looking for a cheap VoIP gateway that I could go month to month on. I was going to buy one of those Linksys PAP2 phone adapters for approx. $50 to use.

There's so many companies out there offering home voip services, but I've read a lot of stories that they're not very good, or have hidden fees and taxes, etc.

I was looking at Google Voice or Skype or one of these, but didn't know if they allowed a device like the linksys to connect to them, etc.

Basically, all I want it to keep my existing home phone number, and have 911 service through the cheapest, but reliable voip gateway.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

voip.ms works pretty work for north america...

they are fairly cheap and i have been using them for over a year with out major issues.
they support SIP....
pretty easy configuration to connect...

We must go always forward, not backward
always up, not down and always twirling twirling towards infinity.

One thing.
HAVE A BACK UP 911 (999,112) service

I cannot stress this more
Fire starts in fuse box.
Your VOIP is useless, your cordless phone is likely to be useless.
So you need a good cell/mobile connection, or a POTS line.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

you need all in one small IP PBX in home, and your voip ata can be registered with this IP PBX any where, so you can talk free with your family, and make calls to PSTN via your PSTN line

Just remember that VoIP has issues going through NAT devices, in particular symetric NATs. I can gurantee you will experience one way audio VoIP issues or no audio at all. This article explains why and the fix. You might want to bookmark it as I searched for days to a solution to my VoIP one way issues. This was the only one I found that shows how to get it to work. If you speak to your VoIP provider they will tell you that symetric NATs are not supported and so does all the official documentation you need. But this article actually does work! BTW all basic home routers are symetric NATs...that's how I know you will problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back