Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Free or Cheap Remote Access Application / Tool for Windows 8 and 10? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
(Originally posted in Remote Access Issues Forum, then noticed no activity since March)

I've been doing off and on computer repairs and support for mostly friends and relatives for quite a while. Some of those because of distance, and pure convenience on both parts, it's been best to remotely connect to their computers to support them when possible and seemed the best fit. I am paid by some of them when I do computer work, and others I am not. It's not a real business setup, but since I do get paid by some, it's a financial transaction. I may help 3 people one week, but then not need to do anything of the like for another month or two.

Historically, I've primarily used GBridge, as it worked great on Windows XP and Windows 7, and includes a lot of really nice features. It hasn't always been the most stable in regards to the connection quality, but generally speaking it gets the job done. The only problem with GBridge is that it seems to have been left for dead by the developers, and hasn't worked with Windows 8 and now 10 (8 wasn't a big deal, b/c not enough people used it, but 10 will be a much bigger deal).

So I wanted to ask and see if anyone here can recommend any either really cheap remote tools for occasional commercial use or else some that is free regardless of use. I've been playing around with and testing some, but what are your thoughts?

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, references, etc.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

At my work I'm using Remote Desktop Connection which is available in Windows 7. Don't know if it's available in Windows 8 or 10 too.
In addition, some times ago I tried privately TeamViewer to connect to my wife's computer at her work and to help her to solve an urgent problem. And it worked great.

I use Teamviewer for home use, and it works great, My stepmom is in her 70's and we don't live to close, so when I need to clean up some junk or install a new driver, I just have her get a one time code, she doesn't even need the client, and then it gives me access to her computer for just that session. I also use it to update and monitor my HTPC's here at home and they do have the client loaded and running, they are windows 7, but I have 10 on my main box.

Here is another that is free for non-commercial use, but not commercial again, if anyone is interested in a different one. I've used it a few times as well, but trying to check out my different options:

I found that one listed here:
Yeah, TeamViewer is one I've read about as well.

I wonder if there are any good easy ways to setup unattended access with Windows Remote Desktop? I do use that on my home network all the time just because I can between our computers. But once you reach outside behind the local LAN/router, I don't think it's quite so simple.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Also - sorry I didn't mention AnyDesk and TeamViewer earlier. But with even more recommendations, I feel like I really need to give TeamViewer a test run at least as a backup / alternative tool.

As to Chrome, yes, I glanced at that before, and with it requiring Chrome to be installed and running, since it's an Extension, I don't find it the best idea. For instance, what if they suddenly get a malware infection that is freezing up Chrome, and if you open Chrome it starts pop-ups like crazy, etc. Also, sometimes, you just don't want to even have to explain (or I don't), "No, not the blue one, click the one that has 3 or 4 colors in a circle." [wink]

I use Team Viewer for all my PCs since I travel a lot but if I need to help someone that is in front of their PC, I use join.me which is free as well.

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

I use the VNC application. A version of it is TeamViewer. A link for a good implimitation of the free version follows

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Thanks, AZGeek. I'll have to try those options as well. I've tried VNC years ago, and it was a big flaky, I thought. Perhaps it's improved along the way. I do not remember whether I've used join.me in the past or not.

Chris,
Not currently using Avast, but it's at worth looking into.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back