Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best flavor for web hosting - Your thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

southbeach

Programmer
Jan 22, 2008
US
I have MS-2K3 and looking to drop it ... All I do is host my own small, nobody knows about site.

I have experience with SCO Unix but have never really worked with LINUX. I want to get started with Linux.

I wonder which would be the most suitable flavor of linux out there. I know this could be a very biased type question but I am sure you all will offer pointers on why you like one flavor over the rest.

Having heard so much about RedHat and SuSE, I get the impression that they are the front runner. Ubuntu (spelling ???) I've heard of because some minor involvement with Asterisk.

Well, what say you guys/gals?

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

It doesn't really matter what distribution you use; I'd go with a debian flavour, but it's person preference.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

If all you're running is a web server, I don't think it's going to make much difference. Any distro will run whatever webserver software you are interested in.

I run Debian as well, but that's just me. Ubuntu would be a good choice to get started. It's Debian-based :cool:

After posting my question I went on to

and downloaded CentOS and Ubuntu.

Ubuntu because (a) It is Debian based and (b) it is the platform where Trixbox is based on ... and I may want to play with it down the road.

CentOS because of their compatibility to redHat and its possibility to having broader support for hardware (new and old).

Thank you guys!

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

Both are great distributions; good luck!

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back