Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best export format for burning to DVD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingermatti

Technical User
Apr 11, 2003
GB
Hi all

I use Premiere 6.5 and have DVDit! as DVD building/burning software. What would be the best format to export my projects in, in terms of final quality. Processing speed and disk space are not problems, I just need the best quality. Any advice happily received

Ginger Matti

Export from Premiere to AVI. Don't use Premiere's MPEG encoder. Use a third party encoder like TMPGenc to convert your AVI to DVD format. Then you can use your DVD burn software.

Search online for TMPGEnc, you can try it free for a few days before purchasing (it's shareware).

if u using encore, let encore encode the avi for u. that way u dont run into bitrate problems about the disk size, quality etc.
all u have to do is drop the avi into the timeline and click transcode
hope it helps ya

Uh georgy: from the original post

Premiere 6.5 and have DVDit

Thanks for all your help guys.

Don't run encore unfortunately. Should I?!

Irsmith - thanks for your info. Interested as to why I shouldn't use Premiere's MPEG export...

Thanks again

Gingermatti

There's nothing wrong with Premiere's MPEG export if you want to watch the final product on your computer screen. The problem lies with using Premiere's MPEG encoder to use for DVD formatting to play elsewhere.

MPG/MPEG is a compressed version of, for example, an AVI. When you compress video, you lose information that you will never recover. That is true 100% of the time. That is why it's also a bad idea to edit MPG files within Premiere. A side note here, output to MPG a project with video and audio within Premiere. Start a new project and import that MPG file. Then output a second MPG. Compare the differences. The second one will be noticeably worse because of the continued degradation from the original video.

Here's the good news, there are third party MPEG encoders that are able to compress the video so that it's difficult to ascertain the lossiness in the MPEG video. (Still can't edit it very well though).

It's been my experience, and numerous others on this board and elsewhere, that using Premiere's MPEG encoder will result in a bad quality DVD. It will work, but you won't like the results. A popular third party encoder is the TMPGEnc...it produces great results.

Search this forum on the topic of MPEG encoding in Premiere. You may be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back