Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best ERP hardware configuration for corporate environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkondilys

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
Hey Guys,

Just wondering is there some kind of best topology for creating the ideal ERP hardware configuration?
We're looking into purchasing new hardware for our ERP server, and have come across the age old dilemma on the following questions:
- is it better to buy one high end server (ex: HP DL580 G5 Server) and run both application and database together on same physical server?
- is it better to run application and database on seperate physical servers? Ex: application on one physical server, and database (sql2005) on seperate database server hardware?

It seems like I cant find any good feedback in the market on best hardware setup for such instances. Why not just run both application and database on a huge workhorse like the HP DL580 server? We are looking at about 30-40 concurrent connections accessing application server, and a database about 30 Gb today with max growth at 200 GB over next 12 months.

Thanks

I like the separation of processes myself. SQL on one box or cluster, if it's that critical, and application on another. However, I end up doing whatever the software manufacturer recommends, since they are the one's that you will be going to for most of the support.

Thanks for the feedback Cajun....

The Idea is to Consolidate and Integrate.
In large Organizations you usually have to many Systems.
The ERP would be Best on New UNIX/Linux Server that is Scalable.
On the Other hand Most Vendors have SOA and Other tools to Integrate Essential Legacy Systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back