Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best course for expanding my knowledge/experience??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCP2000

MIS
May 24, 2002
US
Hello,

I am currently being taught Java SE in school, but at my place of business they use several applications which are based on Java EE. I have been trying to learn more about Java EE, but the more I look into it, the more there is to learn... Struts, Jakarta, Tomcat, Servlets, JSP, Beans, WSDL, etc., etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an education path for learning this. School is only teaching us client-side programming (SE), so whatever I learn, it will have to be on my own. Thanks!!

Perhaps another school?

Okay, I'm only half joking. There's so much there to learn. I've noticed that having a good instructor that really understands the material makes a huge difference in how well I learn.

That issue aside, there are some good course materials out on the Internet that will go a long way to help.

I had one class recently where the text book was free on-line, and covered that basics of most of what you mentioned above.

I can't find the link right now, but if I run across it, I'll post it here. A little bit of searching though would probably find you several good starting references.

Also, database design would be a good area to touch on also. MySQL or various other flavors.

kodr,

Thank you for your response. My major in school is actually Network Management. I was quite irritated over the fact that I had to take 6 programming courses for this degree, but after a couple of the classes, I now enjoy learning how to create something (or fix something) that I otherwise couldn't.

That being said, I feel that there is a logical progression of what I need to learn. I have been searching the Internet for information, and I have found that there are volumes of information for each piece of this puzzle. There are 600+ page books on every aspect of this.

My goal is to follow the correct path to learn all of this. I don't want to get half way through a huge book to discover that I need to know something else to move forward... have to stop, start on something else, and then come back to whatever I'm working on.

I know that I have a lot of work ahead of me, so I want to be as efficient as possible. This will be on "my own time", and since I am a full-time student and a full-time employee, I have limited time to work personal projects.

Thanks again for the help!!

The knowledge and programming experience learning from working is very different from course in school. It seems there are more limitations in writing programming in the work. The number of transactions and processing time needed in the work may be longer than the ones in the course. If you have programming experience in writing html and JavaScript, you will know there are some problems that can be very tricky and you will need some problem spotting and solving skills learnt from the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back