Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Choice for Remote Users 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

heresahandle

Technical User
May 6, 2003
US
Excuse me if this post has already been made, please excuse me because I couldn't find something descriptive enough because I'm a newbie with remote access.

The setup I'm putting in place:
-One Win2k3 server hosting our application's data.
-Two workstations, one for local use and one for
remote user(s)(This was going to be running pcAnywhere, but we need multiple remote users on the app)
-One user in the office, two remote users.

I have to get at least two users connected to our application server at the same time.

1. pcAnywhere on the extra workstation is no good. only one user at a time. same thing with GoToMyPC.com. I don't want to set up an extra workstation if we'll just have to connect to the server directly. a software solution like this would be ideal. I don't really like the idea of these users getting right into my server.
2. the owner of the business is used to using Citrix, but it's way to expensive for this small of a network.
3. I've never set up Terminal Services before and wouldn't know where to start.

Is terminal services the answer I'm looking for? Do I have to set up a VPN to use TS? Also, would I have to be onsite at the remote users machine to set this up?

I'm sure there will be more points you'll need to know.

Remove pc anywhere and install VNC .It is light it is free and it is relible. You can use it on any OS and on any hardware. The other option is terminal services set up is simple thing, with few clicks you are done . And then dont forget to ask for raise:) Go to start Programs ->admin tools and then configure Server (it was somthing like that - I dont remember but I did it few months ago for last time and I tend to forget things)thumbsup

On their web site, I think the security description is a little vague.

How secure is VNC? I do have a firewall and I can use port forwarding.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain vnc is in no way usable by more than one user at a time. I never use it, I've always found PC Anywhere to be a nice affordable solution. I believe they can connect, but they'll fight over the keyboard/mouse. Basically you'll be in the same boat with pcanywhere.

Now you mentioned that you don't want to add a second computer, and you don't like the idea of users directly accessing the server. Guess what, I agree! Not knowing your location, I'm guessing you can get a desktop from a local vendor for well under a grand (ours bill out at six to seven hundred). Now, is that cost worth the downtime of a server being down because somebody clicked the wrong thing, or deleted a file, or downloaded a virus/spyware directly on your server? And if they do delete data, is that cost even measurable? That's up to you, but to me it doesn't make sense.

Either way, you'll want to monitor backups, but with user interaction on that server, you REALLY better watch those backups. Data can be easily wiped out.

Sure, you can try and lockdown the server, but it would be a shame to overlook something and have them wipe it out later.

Another consideration for terminal services is that you'll need to buy terminal services licenses. Let me elaborate...

Terminal services has 2 modes. Application and administrative.

Administrative mode will allow 2 connections without buying any licenses, but programs are not configured for multiple users. So if two users access the program at the same time, they may get errors, have performance issues, or have data corruption occur from bad read/write sequences.

Application mode will allow mulitple connections and will allow your applications to function in simultaneous connections (assuming the program is supported by terminal services, yes, sorry you'll have to check with tech support to make sure they support it), but you have to buy licenses.

The cost and time setting up terminal services on your main production server, coupled with the fact that they can easily ruin it, makes it a big NO for me, but its up to you to decide.

Ultimately, I think these are your options...

1. I am sure 2 remote users is all I will need for the next couple of years, so I'm going to maintain 2 desktops for remote access. The costs are way cheaper than terminal services anyways.

2. There is a strong possiblity of growth, and for possibly several new remote users. I'm going to consider a dedicated terminal server for these multiple users, and I'll need to buy another copy of Windows Server with CALs, Terminal Services CALs (and if remote users will be slow dial up, citrix will definitely make a huge difference in speed).

My bet is option number 1, hope this helps.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I plan on buying a couple Dell's workstations for about 400 each, and the only real multi-user solution I found to be sufficient is Citrix. But Citrix is way too expensive...besides, we'd need another dedicated server(there's another $1000 easy, besides the software). The only problem is that I'd have to buy two extras, but that still doesn't add up to the cost of Citrix.

I think I'll just buy a port switcher and share a monitor to save space. I definitely think that once these computers pay for them selves and the company grows I could talk them in to a Citrix solution.

I do have one question...yesterday I was looking at and one of their techs suggested this product called enKoo ( Anyone ever used this? seems nice, but I don't think it's a solution for me, especially since it starts at $1000.

Also, is there anyone who knows how secure VNC is before I go buy pcAnywhere?

Haven't used enkoo, vnc sends encrypted passwords, but I cannot speak for its reliability, haven't used it much. PC Anywhere has been a solid product for a long time, and its not very expensive. VNC may work fine, but remember you often get what you pay for...

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

VNC is great on a VPN, but for normal access we use PCany to dial in either dsl or dial up, and have vnc installed on the server to access the workstations from there.

I'm just gonna go with pcAnywhere and an extra workstation.

I wish I had enough experience to go with something bigger (or a bigger budget to play with better toys), but for now I'm gonna go with something simple.

Thank you all for the help. Very useful as always on tek-tips.

I use RealVNC when needed from my home to work, work to home, accessing inter-office PCs, accessing my family members PCs from home. It's great & free. AT&T invented VNC years ago & now it is open source. There are a few differing flavors of VNC out there: Some VNC types let you copy-paste between your PC & another & vice-versa. I haven't tried that yet but it is a cool idea. I've seen TightVNC hailed on The Screen Savers on G4/TechTV.
I have also been reading up on the EnKoo machine. I saw it in PC World Sept 2004. The screenshots lot EXACTLY like a VNC interface. I've been thinking about buying the $1000 machine with 10 licences. That's your total investment. No monthly/annual fees. If you use pcAnywhere for $100/month you could have purchased the EnKoo already for 10 users. If you need to expand later you could always uplink another EnKoo to the first one. No cleint based software is even cooler. You use any internet-connected PC in the world to access your EnKoo. The EnKoo loads self-clearing files into the Temp folder of that PC when connected.
As a matter of fact, I check Tek-Tips for EnKoo & got this thread. I wanted to see if anybody is a fan or not before shelling out $1K. I'd rather do that than pcAnywhere or GoToMyPC.

Dual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back