Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best CBT for CNA/CNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

cismaxz

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
Does anyone have any opions on this? My company bought Test Out's CBTs for Netware 5.x and I am looking to get some new ones for 6. The ones from Test Out were not bad just wondering if there are better choices.

This is my opinion about CBT's. You will never learn anything from a CBT.

The best way to learn is by going and building a NetWare server, then going though a book and getting hands on experience. use the commands. Break it. Fix it. Rebuild it. Mess it up. Correct it. Crash it into a wall and then recover it. Learn the commands, what they do, why they do it, and when you should use them.

All you get from a CBT is a bunch of memorized answers that apply to NOTHING in real life. Especialy NetWare 6. There are so many new features and web based management utilities, that a CBT can't even come close to helping you prepare for the exam, or real world.

You can generally download/acquire a 2 user netware server license for no charge.

I am Marv, and that is my Rant for the evening.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Absolutely true. There are no memorized answers for the
elective exams that Novell requires. There is even scant little available for their core exams. I'm a CNE 5 and this
is my suggestion:

Go to Novell's site and download their objectives for each
exam. Then hit the objectives again and again and again.
Your best path is also to build your own server/network.
Get your hands on some decent imaging software that works
with netware (I can't endorse anything, but it exists).

Then dive in. Border manager/groupwise/etc. are pure hands
on endeavors. Without spending considerable time at the
console...you have no chance of passing.

Plus, what good would it do you? Anyone who hires you
isn't going to be fooled for too long.

rlm

If your company is looking for you to get certified, I wouldn't waste time/money on the cbt's. Follow the advice from the other posts. Excellent advice. The self study kits from novell are also good. It gives you the nuts and bolts of what you need to know, but it still is not always enough to pass the tests. But in my opinion, they have been the better study guides to work off of. I wouldn't skip the labs. Do them a couple of times or until you are comfortable with what is being covered.

The next best thing might be to find a class or two. At least that way (depending on how qualified the instructor is) they should be able to point out how you might use this option, function, command, etc in the real world. Not just for the test.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back