Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best case and CPU fans 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2002
US
I wanted to get comments as to what you think are the best aftermarket fans out there. I would like to think most are the same and that the different is the ability to set speed and how quiet they are. Currently I have 3 case and 1 cpu fan and I can here it running 3 rooms away. I usually disconnect one fan to help with the noise, but I notice the temperature raises 10 degrees when I do this. So what are the best fans?

This may answer your question indirectly.
The larger the fan the quieter it is generally for a given CFM rating.
So for instance a small 60mm YS Tech fan may spin at 5,000rpm and move say 30CFM of air but produce a very annoying 45db of noise.
But you could shift a very similar amount of air by fitting an 80mm fan, that only spins at 2,800rpm and only produces 34db of noise.
So where you can, fit bigger fans with similar air flow, they are always quieter.
As for quality, ball bearing type fans and not sleave bearing, some manufactures do have low noise models but be careful, this is often at the expense of performance.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I would like to hear opinions on this also.
I maintain an aging fleet of PC's and are replacing a lot of CPU and PS fans lately.

It seems fans today are not what they used to be. We still hava a couple of Dell 486 systems that have run continuously for over 5 years without problems. On course, they have the advantage of no cpu fan.

The fans I have purchased lately are from StarTech ( which I usually buy thru They seem to be pretty decent, but it is too soon to tell what life will be. I just popped over to startech's website and I see they are advertising cases and power supplies as 'professional' quality and quiet.

Any opinions on Startech out there?

There has obviously been an explosion in demand for fans of all sizes but especially 80mm case fans due to the high heat outputs of modern PC's. With this demand has come the usual competition to produce them cheaper and cheaper and to use the old cleché "they don't make them like they used to" well they do, but you'll pay 2-3 times more for a decent ball bearing fan over a cheap phosphur bronze type and for the majority of uses the shorter life span of these cheaper fans suit the the "user cycle" (we only have PC's for a relatively short time before we upgrade and replace them)
We can help ourselves though, by routine maintenance, blowing out fans and applying a drop of oil to the bearings twice a year.

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I originally purchased a few generic case fans for $7 each and I wouldn’t mind paying $15 or $20 as long as I knew it was a good fan. I saw some Thermaltake smart fans with temperature sensors that will adjust the speed according to the heat of the case and they were only $14. I really don’t care about lights and looks, just performance and noise. Anyone have a fan that they swear by?

Might try a fan from a manufacturer that makes good power supplies. Enermax makes some pretty good 8 CM Fans that are adjustable in speed.

Generally look for ball bearing fans.
The speed has a direct relation to the noise.
Look for the CFM Cubic Feet per Minute the fan pulls and DB or the noise the fan makes.

Dont know if anyone ever rated fans??

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

JimInKS: Been using StarTech products for years. An unbeatable combo: Enlight(PC) or Antec(SERVER) cases with StarTech power supplies and fans. Top notch products throughout complete line of components.

I buy most of my fans from coolerguys.com they have some of the best fans in the market. I just built a new pc, a dual processor and i used two thermaltake fans they are awesome check out the pics at

Well the fans that come with the P4 as standard are quiet and efficient, at least I think.

you know... you guys are all pointing him to stores.

Pabst fans have a reputation for quiet and longer life
Sunon has a good reputation, their fans are pretty good.
Vantec has a stealth series out, but they move a little less air. they also have a Tornado series out. moves ridiculous amounts of air (90cfm and 120cfm for the 80mm and 92mm models, respectively), but those are LOUD.

also, get Ball Bearing fans. quieter, and they dont die after 6 months like sleeve bearing fans. double ball bearing is the same thing as all ball bearing, in that there is little oil used (only as a lubricant for the balls), as opposed to (sometimes) ball bearing, which uses a combination of ball bearings and oil (sometimes, mind you)

Thanks Amorphus, that is what I am looking for. I wanted to get more personal experiences though. I really wanted a few people to say "ya brand so and so kicks A**, its what I use", but every little bit of info helps!!

JimInKS: Been using StarTech products for years also...very reliable. Never a problem with a cable, fan etc from them ever.

Kimber

Members of Tek-Tips provide answers to questions based on the information given. For the best answers, post detailed descriptions of the issue. Use the search features of the site to see if your issue was already addressed in another thread.

Welcome, anytime.

Kimber

Members of Tek-Tips provide answers to questions based on the information given. For the best answers, post detailed descriptions of the issue. Use the search features of the site to see if your issue was already addressed in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back