Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Books to learn VB.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyoye

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2004
US
Kindly let me know, what book/s should I refer to learn Vb.Net

For example: I liked the C++, how to program by Deitel & deitel.

I need something step by step kindda book.

Thanks

I found the Wrox series pretty helpful. I actually found them vastly better than the Dietel books. The only redeaming thing I found about the Dietel books is that you can sing the Dradle song with the work Dietel in place of Dradle. Much to the amusement and annoyance of my fellow students at the time.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Thanks but which book/s I should start with?? I checked amazon, there are plenty of vb.net books by WROX

Personally, I'd recommend going out to a book store and flipping through a couple of chapters to see if you like the format and level of material.

What is your background? That is probably the most important question to ask. There are plenty of .NET for Java Programmers, .NET for VB6 programmers, .NET for Assembly programmers (OK, I made the last one up.)

Brian Begy
BugSentry - Automatic error reporting for .NET and COM

I have done Masters in comp sci but my main focus is always on Databases, I am on OCP, currently a DBA for Sql server. I had couple of classes in C++ while i was in university( 6 yrs back).

I really like Wrox's "Beginning VB.Net 2003". it covers a lot of material. If you need to do Crystal Reports, Wrox's "Professional Crystal Reports for Visual Studio .Net" is good.

Actually most of the Wrox Beginning... books are good, as they have complete programs and discussions.

Also the Microsoft Special Edition Using "Visual Basic .Net" has lots of good info.

Programming Windows with Visual Basic .Net - Microsoft Press - Francesco Balena is excellent. There is a similar one by Charles Petzgold? which is geared more to the beginner in that it walks you through the steps.

Have a great day!

j2consulting@yahoo.com

Try Mastering Visual Basic .Net. It's a Sybex book.

Hope this helps.

Ron Repp

If gray hair is a sign of wisdom, then I'm a genius.

Try Mastering Visual Basic .Net. It's a Sybex book.

It is a very very good book. I have it! By Evangelos Petroutsos. It covers much stuff (or staff:) ) but googling around and MSDN help, will help more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back