Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best book to study VB.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

vovan1415

Programmer
Dec 6, 2001
US
I have some VB6 experience and would like to study
VB.NET.

Can someone give me an advise what books do I need to use/buy?

Thanks

Just go to a local store and buy a book. Almost all are good. I would recomend the book VB.NET by Evangelos Petroutsos.

Have in mind that VB.NET is OO.

Then try to make a simple app. Post in the forums and use the MSDN (local or from the internet).
Try also some source code examples (e.g.
I believe that you will get the knowledge by personal experience and not by reading books.

Hope i helped !

My personal recommendation, give Java a try. Not to say Java is better than .Net or anything, just that the structure of VB.Net is very similar to Java. If you go straight from VB6 to VB.Net you will likely get frustrated by how Microsoft "ruined" VB. If you go to Java first, and get a bit of an understanding about Object Oriented design, it will make picking up VB.Net a snap.

If you want to go straight from VB6 to VB.Net I would recommend staying away from Dietel books. Those things are about worthless and over priced. The WROX books were decent enough though.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

There are several good books but it comes down to what style you like.
I suggest:
If you are coming from VB6 try Murch's Beginning Visual Basic .NET
Microsofts VB.NET Step by Step (do not remember exact name)

Good Luck
djj

I have several favorites, but for a VB6 person, Dan Appleman's "Moving to VB.Net: Strategies, Concepts, and Code" (Apress, 2003) does an excellent job of explaining how to bridge the conceptual gap. In particular, he goes out of his way to address areas where the move is counterintuitive. (For example, you could spend a lot of frustrating time trying to put together a control array in .Net before you found out that there aren't any. Appleman's book is the only one of the several that I have that has a "control array" entry in the index. Going to the page explains why there aren't any, and gives an example of how to do the equivalent in Vb.Net.)

Another very comprehensive book is Balena's "Programming Micorosoft Visual Basic .Net" (Microsoft Press, 2002, although there is now a version 2003 out too).

HTH

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back