Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Book for SSIS 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptheriault

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2006
US
Can anyone suggest a good book for learning SSIS. I have been tasked with creating a fairly complex task for transforming data from Oracle 10G to SQL. I haven't worked with SSIS at all yet. I would like something that is an easy read. Lots of pictures. : )

- Paul
- Database performance looks fine, it must be the Network!

WROX Press always has excellent books. MS Press typically has some decent books as well.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

I'm not fond of the current WROX book myself, but as one of my co-workers and two ex-coworkers contributed to it, I supposed I should say it was decent. @=) The WROX book covers a LOT of stuff in broad strokes, and doesn't quite answer all the questions I had about detailed things.

I do have SQL Server Integration Services by Osborne press, which seems clearer and more oriented to the stuff I want to know about. It doesn't include items like Web integration and stuff (the WROX book does), but I don't care about that right now. I just want to know how to build a basic Import-the-Data-into-and-out-of-SQL-Server kind of package.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Thanks Guys. I'll have a look at both of them.

- Paul

Cat, The book by Osborne, does it have a wave on the cover?

- Paul

Paul,

Yes, the book by Osborne does. Of course, their Reporting Services book also has a wave on the cover. It must be a brand thing.

Oh, Hey, MDXer. That is a cool reference. Thanks! We're starting to get into Data Warehousing, so I keep that link in mind.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

MDXer,

When I'm try to attached the data warehouse database to my database server(OS:Std 2003 Svr), does it need to be on an SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition? because the Project Real using partitioning..and only Enterprise version does that not the Standard...am I correct? please advise

thx adv

Enterprise and Developer have partitioning so I would say either of those are what you should use. I'm not really sure what happens when you attach it to a server that doesn't support the utilized features. You can pick up dev for something like $50 U.S.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Where does it state that the standard version of SQL does not have partitioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back