Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best AthlonXP Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shohan

Technical User
Oct 5, 2001
US
I've been out of the hardware scene for a little bit and need some advice on which core is the best and for what reasons of the AthlonXP procs. I tried searching, but couldn't find exactly what I needed. I am trying to upgrade my 2 yr old system which is as follows:

Soltek SL-75DRV5
AthlonXP 1900+
2x512 Corsair XMS DDR333
Audigy Platinum
GeForce 4 TI 4600

HiLiKuS
you choice appears to be an easy one, the best performing XP CPU that your setup will take is a Barton core 333fsb CPU (upto XP3.0+) there is only one more step after this before the new Athlon 64 platform (K8) and that is a 400fsb Athlon XP3.0+ and XP3.2+ but neither of these will work with the memory you have (don't think your motherboard supports them either)
The Barton core has twice the secondary level cache of the older Thoroughbred (512k instead of 256k)and is a better all round performer.
So upto XP3.0 with 333FSB although the XP2.7+ and XP2.8+ (Barton)CPU's are a better buy, price/performance.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

You have either a Palomino or Tbred. Either one makes a good combination with the rest of your stuff. Enjoy your rig and plan your next machine from the ground up. You can build a real hot rod for <1200 bucks complete...something to think about.

Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back