Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best approch for major Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

chihab

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
CA
Hi Everybody,

In next few weeks we will change a 4 years old server with a bran new one.This old server is running netware 6 +sp4 and zfd 3.2 with no patches. The new server will hold netware 6.5 and ZFD 6.5.
What is the best approach to achieve this with a reasonnable downtime ?
I don't know if it is worthy to mention that i have 2 other servers under the same tree as the one to be upgraded running netware 5.0 NDS 8 (8.80d dated avril, 18 2002).
the server to be upgraded is running e-dir 8.6.2

Help or advise is appreciated.
Thank-you

If it was me, i would use the Migration Wizard utility to migrate from the NW6.0 server to the NW6.5 server. In the process, you would move zenworks. After the migration, then I would upgrade Zenworks to Zen6.5

However, a bigger consideration for Zen is not the server components, but how to go from the Zen 3.2 style (server based) to the ZFD6.5 based agents (workstation based). That is probably where you should focus your research efforts because it will have the biggest impact on your end users.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

What about updating zfd 3.2 to sp3 (as recommanded) then use the migration utility to migrate netware6 to 6.5. And finally update again zen on the new server to 4.0.1 or 6.5.

I did'nt understand clearly your second paragraph.

Thank-you

Yes you'll want to put the ZFD patch on as well, I forgot to mention that.

The 2nd paragraph... What I mean is that you are only considering the server components.. The server end of things is a fairly quick and straightforward process. But at that point, you have not done anything with your workstations and you are going to have some big problems. You have to figure out a strategy for deploying the ZFD 6.5 agents to the workstations.

The ZFD agents is a separate installation that must be completed on each worksation. The agents are no longer part of the Novell client (like what you're using now).

the client side are all computers running either 4.83 sp2 0r 4.9 sp2 wihch is the ideal version recommanded for zen 6.5. I will run a conditional acu to update everything to 4.9 sp2.
the other thing i mentioned in my thread is the fact that e-dir on the server to be upgraded will synchronise with my other 2 servers wich are still nds 8 (8.80d), i don't know if thre is an issue with this

You're missing the point. The ZFD agent is a SEPARATE install. It's not part of the client. How many workstations do you have, and are you using either NAL or NALEXPLD? And if so, how are you launching it?

We have 400 workstations running win2k +sp3.
@C:\winnt\System32\NalDesk.exe is executed from a container LoginScript to launch the application explorer.

Ok, if you're running the NALDESK from a local path, you will most likely be fine. However, you will still need to install the ZFD 6.5 agents on each workstation to get the full functionality of the newer zen.

Your question about having two NW5.0 servers in the tree -- that doesn't concern me at all. But make sure you have the latest service pack (NW5SP6a) plus several post SP patches. Also, I dont' recall, but I don't remember NDS 8 being available with NetWare 5.0, I thought it came out with Netware 5.1, but I could be mistaken. Regardless, make sure you have the latest DS version for whatever version of NDS that you have on those two servers.

i'll let you know how things are going in few weeks
many thanks.
I appreciated your help

Any reason why you are not planning to upgrade the other two servers to NetWare 6.5 also? Remember, licensing is different in NetWare 6, no longer by server but now by NDS connection. You can have as many NetWare servers as you want. Server licenses are pretty much free now.

On the ZEN, if you use any application managment in ZFD, then you MUST deploy the ZFD6.5 workstation agents BEFORE you upgrade the ZFD files and services on the server. The ZFD6.5 agents will work with the 3.2 NAL/WM/etc were as the 3.2 workstation agents included in NWClient 4.9sp2 DO NOT work with the ZFD6.5 server files and services.

Plan, plan, plan, and when your done, plan again.

Marv, NDS 8 started with NetWare 5.0, you just didn't want to use it back then.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer

the only reason why i,am not upgrading the other servers are :
- one server is housing netware SAA (as gateway to mainframe) and is being replaced by a full tcpip solution)
the other is housing a web site and is already moved on a netware 6 server whis is already in a dmz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back