Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best antivirus. free 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxermom

Technical User
Jun 21, 2010
US
I use super antispyware now on my toshiba laptop. but would like a good free anti virus. any suggestions??

I will go along with Microsoft Security Essentials, has done a good job for me.

xit

I use Grisoft's AVG Free and can recommend it. Though Avast has a lot of following.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

I wander between AVG Free and Microsoft Security Essentials on several machines but the best protections is common sense.

MSE for me...
Used to use AVG until they messed it up with v8. Also AVG just wrecked a load of vista & 7 64bit machines.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I use Avast,and MSE, I also use a free to me supplied by my ISP (comcast) Norton internet security. I only mention the last, because sometimes you can get security software supplied by the ISP that is free to their customers, check with the ISP.

i switched from Avast to MSE w/ Comodo firewall.
Have had good results and no infections.

Oh, is it that time of year again :)

Could have switched to MSE but am using Avast now after AVG messed up with v8 and v8.5 Never tried v9 or later but them getting in the press with non-bootable systems again after an update, really made me dump them even quicker then I did the first time.

Avast has the advantage of more often updates, a flawlessly working automatic update function when behind a firewall, and a better UI (but that's a mater of taste), MSE can't say all that!
Avira was an option, but the configuration really sucks, and the UI is so nineties', it made me shiver.

HTH

Hi,
MSE can say almost all that and since the UI is a matter of taste, it actually can say all.
Very Frequent Fully automatic Updates ( often Daily) - while behind a firewall, scheduled scans run without fail, reporting function is very clear.

The UI, for me, is better as well.

But, which AV is not as important as using one and keeping it updated.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I mostly use AGV for privat, works fine form me. For my company notebook i use MCafee.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

Keep in mind though... very generally speaking, I've found value in the phrase "you get what you pay for".

If I had to do it for free, I'd go with AVG Free. Something is better than nothing; that's for sure!

If I could get some funds, I'd go with Kaspersky. They really do a fabulous job with supporting their product. Truly best in the business.

Person experience, I've seem McAfee's software fail more than I've see it work... Side note, I've only seen it work once.

"Nothing is so common-place as the wish to be remarkable."
--Shakespear

thanks everyone. I am trying the Avast for now. and really like it. So far it has found some threats that the super antispyware did not fine.

Whilst this thread would probably have better suited the Virus/Spyware discussion forum, since MSE has been mentioned I'd be interested to know if/how MSE notifies the user of an infection.

I see a lot of virused machines, usually they have AVG, McAfee or Norton on them, all of which have apparently failed to stop incoming malicious software from gaining a hold. I suspect MSE is relatively new to most of my users, so maybe that's why I've not seen any virused machine with it on yet. Or conversely, it's so amazingly brilliant it zaps every known threat!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Hi,
The History tab can be set to show all detected items ( and other options)..The Real-Time part does notify you when it detects a threat.

I think it also will stay open if,during a scheduled scan, it detects a problem. I have had it catch some malicious web site issues.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Hi

I run both MSE and AVG.
I've used AVG for years without problems.

I could use McAfee for free if I wanted to.
I don't. LOL

Mike

Thanks Turkbear, interesting to know...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back