Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BES Installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2002
GB
I am investigating the feasibility of running 10 blackberries for our sales team.
At the moment only 2 will get their email that way.

We are currently running a SBS2000 server Exchange 2000.

I was informed to setup a stand-alone server for the BES by RIM when I spoke to them about our setup, but on reflection I think this is not feasible.

My problems are that I that I cannot (or do not think I can) install another server with exchange from the SBS disks and I do not think I can run two exchange boxes - the current and one for the BES in the same domain with SBS.

So I suspect I will have to install the BES on our current SBS2000 server. We do intend to upgrade but not for another few months and the powers that be could not wait.

Looking at the recommeded spec for the BES then it looks like this would take our current server to the wire...

so what I guess I am asking is
has anybody out there had a similar setup and what would they recommend.

Any pointers would be gratefully received
Many thanks
Jack

You do not need another exchange server, the BES only requires ESM to be installed, in order to have the MAPI sub-system, which is how it communicates with the exchange server.

Here are a couple of related KBs:

Install Guide:

Many many thanks for the post - I am glad to hear that.

Could you tell me then - if it is possible to install the
ESM onto a seperate server and utilise that for the BES.

I only ask because I do not think the current SBS machine would take the BES without falling over.

Many thanks again
Jack

Yes, as part of the BES installation you will need to install the exchange tools, so run the exchange server setup and just choose to install the Exchange System Manager; so not a exchange server installation.

Basically this installs the MAPI sub-system on the box so BES can talk to the exchange server via the MAPI profile that you create for the BESAdmin account.

Cheers
jpaf

You are a star and please accept one.
I am now away to carry out the install, lets hope all goes well.

Many thanks
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back