Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BES 4.1 - Verizon 8703e - Home Network Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

gclumpkin

Technical User
Mar 24, 2004
US
All:

I recently set up a Blackberry Enterprise Server version 4.1 and linked it to our Exchange 2003 server. I also updated the OS on five 7750's from Verizon and set them all for Enterprise activation so e-mail, calendar, contacts, tasks and notes in Exchange will synchronize wirelessly with the handhelds.

That being said, we also ordered a new 8703e and I set it up yesterday according to the instructions in the System Administrators manual. We did not order phone service on this unit but did order the unlimited data plan. I set the unit up on the BES before I activated the phone. I activated it later per a Verizon technicians instructions since nothing was coming down wirelessly.

Now for some reason, the phone number listed for the device in BES shows as 000000xxxx (xxxx=last four digits of the devices phone number) and for Home Network, Roaming is listed. On all the 7750 units, their actual phone numbers are listed (phones are activated on the 7750s) and the Home Network is listed as Verizon Wireless.

Is the disparity on the 8703e just because the phone has no service to it or is this something I should look into? The word "Roaming" scares me, but I was told by a Verizon technician that we would NOT be hit with any roaming fees.

Thanks for any advice.

Greg

I've never had a data only BB but if you're not paying for the service I wouldn't worry about it. I assume it's the same for the 8703's but if you dial ##000000 it will take you to the phone programming and where you can check the MIN, MDN, and SID. The MIN and MDN usually resemble the phone number. I'm not an expert but I think if the SID is blank, or not consistent with the other devices, this would cause the phone to show roaming as that is how it identifies with the local towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back