Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bending capacitors?!? NOOOO :( 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate252

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
US
i had an question earlyer (Aluminum or Copper) and i was asking if my MOBO had the right socket for the heatsink i wanted, well i found that out now it does have the socket 370 like i was hoping for, but i was mesuring to make sure it would fit in with all the junk and i read at the end of my post abouit some guys having problmes wioth that and i need to know safe way to bend what i need to make room for it, it looks like osme capisitors and the AGP or whatever that slot it that runs the oposite direction then all the others by 90 degrees. I really need to know how to do this safly without damaging anything, or shocking myself really bad ;)...also another quesiton i was measuring and i touched the chip that is on the other side of that AGP or whatever slot, its not as big as a CPU but simalor, well it was really hot, and i just want to know what that is and maybwe why it is so hot.

thanks,

Matt

AGP cards that are very close to the CPU can be a problem because they block the airflow. If this is the case then I'd also look into having a chasis fan bottom-front and top-back if possible.

Matt;

Also, if possible, keep the PCI slot closest to the AGP slot open. It helps with airflow.

Ed Please let me know if the sugestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.

The socket that runs 90 degrees from all the others is probably memory.
If you have capacitors in the way, you have a problem. They can't be bent without the risk of breaking the leads.
Don't worry about shocking yourself. Worry about shocking your M/B. Just make sure that power is disconnected and all I/O cables are disconnected.
Chip is probably the board controller chip. All the I/O stuff goes thru a custom ASIC in modern boards.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

thanks for all the advise, but that slot of not the memory, im not that dumb ;)

but what do i do if i buy this heatsink and it fits in my slot like its suposed to but its either VERY close or to buig to fit within the capasitors, or will it fit just fine since it is compatible with that slot, i am just worried that it will fit in the slot but it wouldnt fit within all the objects around the CPU slot

thanks,

matt

and by the way nice quote Eguy...somtimes your the windsheild somtimes your the bug

matt

How much they can be bent depends alot on how close they are soldered to the board.
The metal posts are quite pliable but will stop bending once the capacitor touches the board, so stop here.
Is it the Volcano 7 you were fitting?? you have got to ask yourself if you need such a big cooler?? their are some very good coolers out their without the physical size of the Volcano, like the Silver Mountain II.
The hot chip you were talking about is probably the NORTH BRIGDE, part of the motherboards chipset (north and south bridges)
It does get hot, infact depending on what chipset it is some have a heatsink attached and even an active fan for cooling.
If you intend overclocking the motherboard it would be advisable to buy a chipset cooler kit.
And don't forget case cooling (extra fans mounted onto the supplied case mounting points, usually standard 80mm units)
Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Is the M/B a multiple processor type with possibility of a stand off processor? That might explain the I/O socket at 90 degrees.
Unfortunately, the board manufacturers lay out the boards to conserve room, only partway allowing clearances to other stuff that is needed, like power supply and heatsink. So you might have to search for a H/S & fan combo that will clear the landscape. Or use hand tools to modify the H/S to fit.
Did you get a manual with the M/B? Any suggestions of parts to use in there? Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

On the capacitor subject -

I remember stating in the other thread, all FIC motherboards require bending the capacitors a little to fit heatsinks. What I can say, all FIC mobos have their capacitors soldered on well, and I've been able to push them over probably up to 10 degrees. Once I did scratch off some of the plastic coating of one capacitor, and I want to say I put a piece of electrical tape over it, but I've got this weird feeling that I put scotch tape over it. Whatever the case, I've installed 6 or so FIC mobos bending the capacitors a tad each time, and I've never had any problems with them what-so-ever.

The first board I got I was praying the whole time that the thing would hold together and work. Now I'm pushing them over without a care! =)

ok i will try...lol if it just BARLY fits should i make extra room by bending them or will that be ok, cuz it looks like it is just BARLY going to fit, thanks

matt

Just be careful, push against them slowly, and never farther than they have to be. Don't think they're indestructable, but they are soldered in fairly strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.