Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

belkin router/gateway disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScreamerChaotix

Technical User
Jul 26, 2002
US
I've been having this problem for almost a year now, and have yet to find a solution. Currently I own a Belkin cable gateway/router for my home LAN, which works fine the majority of the time. However, whenever I run the program "nmap" or similar scanner utility, all the machines in my LAN are disconnected. It usually only takes a matter of seconds, and requires the network to be completely reset. My cable provider has no problem with scans, in fact, if I do a scan straight through the modem (sans the router) it runs fine. Plus, even a local scan boots all the machines. Obviously the problem lies in the router, but with nothing more than a web based configuration utility, changing any relevant settings seems a tad futile. The Belkin manual refers to you to the software for help, and naturally, the software refers you to the manual...and contacting Belkin was no help either. The answer I received was "What's a port scan?" I've heard of some routers being overrun from scans that go too fast, but even slowing them down has produced no results. If anyone has any information or advice, feel free to send it along. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back