Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Belkin N150 Basic Wireless Router Won't Connect 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfiretaskforce

Technical User
Sep 24, 2008
US
Have a Desktop Compaq with Win Xp OS, tried to connect with the Belkin wireless router so i can also use a new lap top connected wirelessly to the Router downstairs. Ran the setup CD, gets as far as saying its communicating with DSL Modem, but unable to connect to internet, had me up plug modem an router for 15 seconds each, all DSL modem lights are on. Eventually says it cannot get an internet connection. Could the Proxy Server Service I use be blocking it from connecting? It is setup in IE 8.0 under TOOLS, Connections, LAN, I am sorry if I am in wrong area, but could someone please help?

Just to Clarify:

The Belkin Wireless router is the one downstairs?

The Comnpaq Dekstop is trying to connect wirelessly to this router?

The Laptop is connecting to the Belkin Wireless router and has internet access?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

The compaq is the one i have the DSL Modem connected to, an is upstairs. I want to be able to connect the lap top with wireless router, an desktop continue to use Ethernet Connection. The Compaq has the Proxy Server configured on it, will that block the router from connecting to internet?

For a DSL modem, you generally have to configure/reconfigure it to be able to do what you are doing. For the DSL modem that I did this with (once upon a time), it either ran as primary or as pass-through.

When you get the DSL modem, it's generally set to primary as default, which means it considers itself the main device (phone jack to DSL to network card in computer, acting as a 1 person router). To install a genuine router, you have to configure the modem to be pass-through, which makes it so you can have the device not perform any routing functions.

This also means that the ISP will see a different MAC address, so it won't work until they refresh their connections. This occurs about every 1/2 hr to 1 hr on the ISP I had to talk to about this - I found this out in calling them after I had a similar problem to this.

The moral to this is that you need to check/double-check the DSL modem configs. You will need to check this setting, in addition to the other settings involved with configuring the modem, since it's a similar process to the configuration for the router (so the IP doesn't clash, for one thing).

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back